• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

I am glad you find it interesting. There is so much more that could be written but I dont know if members would rather just have the pictures.
Trevor.

Great postings Trevor and with the older pics the information is really worth having. I'm glad you and so many others will keep this this thread going as my post cards are running out now. I'm amazed we have now reached 50 pages and still so popular!
Mike
Here is a 1950's view of the old Birmingham Municipal Bank HQ in Broad Street.

Attachments

• City Broad St Municipal Bank (2).jpg
    City Broad St Municipal Bank (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
You know mike, I see a picture on this thread and I think 'oh god I remember that'. That makes me think that if I had not seen the picture, I might have never thought of the building or road again for the rest of my life.

Three photos of Brum. Len.

Attachments

• Hockley Jewellery Quarter Vyse St 1967  x.jpg
    Hockley Jewellery Quarter Vyse St 1967 x.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 18
  • City Dale End 1948_[1].jpg
    City Dale End 1948_[1].jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Hockley Depot 2.jpg
    Hockley Depot 2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 21
Frederick York Wolsely was born in 1837. He emigrated to Australia but came back in 1899 with Herbert Austin, who had also earler emigrated.
The car below, a Wolsley 96 hp. chain drive, is being driven through Saltley. The building in the background is St. Peters College, College Walk Saltley.

Attachments

• Wolseley.JPG
    Wolseley.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
Early days too on the Bristol Road here.

Attachments

• Longbridge Austin Works (2).JPG
    Longbridge Austin Works (2).JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 11
This postcard manufacturer has found a fresh birmingham station (see title) on this card, posted 1909 (I think, as its a bit smudged). If it was a stamp with an error it would be worth thousands, but unfortunately its a postcard,
Mike

new_st_station_posted_1909.jpg

New St looking from Worcester St. 1910 and 1971.New St dates from the 14th centurywhen it started at the village High St. and ended in the country.The Birmingham Post & Mailmoved from New St. to its present location.

Attachments

• City New Street 1908.JPG
    City New Street 1908.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 20
  • City High St - New St.jpg
    City High St - New St.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for posting the post cards everyone. It's a great collection. I remember going with my Mom to renew our ration books at the building next to the Municipal Bank on Broad Street.

I liked the mistake on the New Street Station postcard . That's how the station looked when I worked there. New Street that is!

One thing you always notice on old photographs and post cards of streets is the lack of cars, etc.

Here is the last of my cards whch really should have been the first when I started this Thread. I will enjoy checking to see the stuff I know will carry it on and have been pleased to show off my card collection along the way. Little did I think it would become part of a 5 Star Tour! Thank you for being on the Tour with me.
Mike.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park by moonlight.jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park by moonlight.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6
Oh thank you all for posting these postcards, fantastic viewing, just worked my way through all the pages. Well done!

Thanks Mike
for all the postcards you have posted, and to the others who have picked up your baton, keep posting.

Astonite, the sign you mention in Clarendon Street, was actually in Park Lane, facing Clarendon Street. It was advertising the cobblers Neales, and showed a policeman with his LARGE foot upturned showing his boots newly repaired. It was there for many years, part of my childhood and quite a landmark, anyone using the No.8 inner circle bus couldn't have missed it either.

I hadn't seen this picture before till I saw it in a tat shop (sorry - antique emporium) in the west country
Mike

outside_moor_st_station_1954.jpg

Here are two views of Five Ways, 1920 and again in 1971. Five Ways was Birminghams boundary in 1807. In 1813 oil lighting was provided for seven months of the year. Up until 1840, tolls were taken at Five Ways for the upkeep of the highway. By 1920 this end of Broad St. consisted of maily Georgian houses, either converted into shops, or with shops built on the front gardens.
In the second picture you will see how the human scale and charm of the 19th centuary have been ruthlessly swept away to to provide an elevated roundabout.

Attachments

• Five Ways Island (3).jpg
    Five Ways Island (3).jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Edgbaston Auchinleck House Five Ways - Lloyds Bank an...[1].JPG
    Edgbaston Auchinleck House Five Ways - Lloyds Bank an...[1].JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 18
OK Folks, can any one tell me if I have missed it or is a photo/postcard of the HEN & CHICKENS NEW STREET on this tread or any other?
If not has any one got a photo of this HOTEL?
THE BARON (ASTON)

The Baron, I dont know if I have one or not. I have too much stuff to remember everything do you see. I will set a time of twenty four hours and look through it all. If I find one I will post it. If I havent got one I will say nothing. That way you will know by tomorrow evening.

No rush STICHER, It just that I had a GreatAunt who owned a JEWELLERS ( No 129 NEW STREET) adjoining the HEN & CHICKENS back in 1881.
JUST WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE?
THANKS THE BARON (ASTON)

Stitcher, unbelieveable the difference between the two photos of Five Ways that you posted. How sad to see what they have done over the years, and how cold the modern view looks. 45 years ago I worked for a while at TI House, which was a new modern building then, I think it's a hotel now. In those days although there had been modernisation, you could still just about recognise how it had been in your earlier picture.

Judy

Bradford St in the distant past of 1783, and again in 1952.

Attachments

• Highgate Bradford St 1783.JPG
    Highgate Bradford St 1783.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Camp Hill Bradford Street 1952.jpg
    Camp Hill Bradford Street 1952.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 12
[

Forgive me if I am nieve but could someone please tell me where the Old Square was situated.

A couple that I don't think have been seen before. I think they both must have been taken in the 70's. One is taken from the Rotunda at night showing the view along Smallbrook Ringway, and the other from (I think) Moor St car park showing part of the Bull Ring.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Market Area 1970's .jpg
    City Bull Ring Market Area 1970's .jpg
    103 KB · Views: 18
  • City Smallbrook Ringway at Night .jpg
    City Smallbrook Ringway at Night .jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 16
Rupert I really like your the map and how I remember the streets.

Phil the photos are very nice and I have to admit I prefer it as it was than how it is now in some parts of the city. Having said that I think other parts are a great improvement. Mo

Sakura,

If I am honest I will say that I prefer the 60's version of the Bull Ring, although I have known all three versions. It was the in 60's that I grew to be an adult. and it grew with me. For all its failings it was still loved by many.

For it to be loved by all, it would have needed to be a mixture of the 40's 60's and 00's. It just wouldn't have worked. I have no doubt the people it was built for (the youngsters) will come to love it, just as we did our version.

Phil

I am sure PMC is right, todays crop will take what they find but I still prefer the old 40s version. The buildings could have been refurbished. Period construction could have filled in bombed spots. Just minor renovations in the town center maybe. Bigger ring roads would have handled the rest further out that could have combined shopping at street level with residential on low rise upper stories. Ah well we have been this route before. Tourism is major still I suppose and I doubt that tourists come to see modern high rise.

Rupert

Here you are, the old and the new together (well partially). Side by side for a short interlude. Now we can both mourn together at the loss of both.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Old & New Woolworths 1962 .jpg
    City Bull Ring Old & New Woolworths 1962 .jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for posting these photos. Yes, all gone now. I used to visit both stores. Is that the Albany Hotel going up in the background? Thanks.

Back