• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

It was they were so comical everyone knew them. Michael has more stories than me.

I don't remember one. He would sometimes 'dress up' and in those days there wern't many who were as obvious as Barry. He would camp it up big style. He was mostly around the town in pale blue jeans and jumper. Carmen was always dressed up as a lady. I saw them all over the town as well as the Tow Rope.

Thanks Trev,

that brings back memories as you can still see Salford Park Cycle track where I spent so many happy hours with my friends.

Graham.
Great photo Trev. Graham, I have another memory of the track. I was a member of Lozells' Harriers Atheltics Club and spent many a happy hour doing "shuttles" there.
God it was hard work!
Also, like Jean, I used to go fishing in the reser and catch loads of little perch - if I was lucky.

Trev, your post No. 519. Is the Five Ways phot in 1920 looking towards town? The road going down on the right seems to be Islington Row. What a difference to today!

That famous picture is taken from Calthorpe Road looking straight at Broad Street. Yes that's Islington Row on the right, and the bus in the distance is outside the Five Ways Inn, on the corner of Ladywood Road.

Stitcher & Wendy

This is getting way off thread now, but I will just say that I am not very good on names from that period. We are talking 67 & 68 and the only names I remember with any certainty are those from my own crowd. Don't forget what they say about the 60's "If you remember the 60's you wasn't there" Stitcher I have no idea who Scooby was was he one of the staff or owners?.

Wendy I do remember Barry & Carmen. Barry tried often to get me to dance with him in the Ringway Club. As drunk as I used to get I never succumbed to that. There were a couple more that used to hang out with them one was Danny who was a barman from the Rum Runner and his flatmate who was as tall as Barry but was dark headed and wore glasses, I don't remember his name either.

If you want to carry on with this conversation, please PM me, as we don't want to get in trouble with the post police.

Phil

Great photo Trev. Graham, I have another memory of the track. I was a member of Lozells' Harriers Atheltics Club and spent many a happy hour doing "shuttles" there.

David, do you remember Maurice Herriott? I don't know the name of his Brum athletic club but he finished 2nd in the 3000 meters at the 1960 Rome Olympics behind the Belgian Gaston Roelands.

In those days I used to work with Maurice at BSA motorcycles. At midday we had an hours break and he would run round the BSA recreation track while I ran up and down the outside fire escape for an hour, we were both training beasts!

Graham.

Attachments

• Herriott7[1].jpg
    Herriott7[1].jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Graham, yes I remember him but can't recall the club. Would it have been Birchfield? I joined Lozells after representing my School, Bordesley Green Tech. in the Midlands finals at Solihull prior to the English Schoolboys final. Someone from Lozells approached me after a Birchfield guy. I remember thinking, I'm not good enough for Birchfield and the Lozells guy sold me on the "friendly" atmosphere at his.
I was doing long jump and triple jump as well as 100 YARDS. But the jumping was always my strong point.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, after several months I suddenly found girls and they forced themselves above my athletics. I still kept up my football though.

Mosely was not a part of Birmingham until 1911 and was cosidered a most desirable residential suburb for sometime before this date.The Fighting Cocks has been an inn since the 18th century. The first picture shows the mid-Victorian building. The second shows how it was replaced with shops in 1899 and the pub itself being re-built on the corner.

Attachments

• Moseley Village Fighting Cocks (2).jpg
    Moseley Village Fighting Cocks (2).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Moseley Village Alcester Ed  c1914.jpg
    Moseley Village Alcester Ed c1914.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 10
A glance up and down Dale end, of how it used to be and what they changed it to. I ask you which was better?

Phil

Attachments

• City Dale End 1958 .jpg
    City Dale End 1958 .jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 25
  • City Dale End 2.jpg
    City Dale End 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 24
Judy

I have to admit, even after defending some of the changes made to Birmingham, that Dale End is now a hideous street, and I have never liked it since it was rebuilt. I don't know who was responsible but I hope they were sacked

Phil

Ill bet you got that wrong. Those responsible will have got a bonus and pay rise.

I have no doubt that it was something to do with this bunch of nutters here, and they gave the head of the asylum a Knighthood.

Phil

Attachments

• City Planners Manzoni,Griffiths,Price,Benton.jpg
    City Planners Manzoni,Griffiths,Price,Benton.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Botanical Gardens entrance in Wake Green Rd. 1900.
And the second picture is St Mary's Row. 1900

Attachments

• Moseley College Rd - wake Green Rd Botanical Gardens.jpg
    Moseley College Rd - wake Green Rd Botanical Gardens.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Moseley Village St Marys Row  c1910.jpg
    Moseley Village St Marys Row c1910.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 8
I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a photo of the recruting station in James Watt St, I went there to join the Navy in 1960 when i was 14 with a letter of consent from my Dad, they wouldn't have me as i am colour blind, reds & greens. Broke my heart.

Chucka

Its not very good and a little earlier than what you require, but it does show the recruiting offices, although it may have been just army at this time.

Anyway if its not the one you require, its another good photo of a part of the city that we haven't covered.

Phil

Attachments

• City James Watt St 1930's.jpg
    City James Watt St 1930's.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
chucka I joined there in 59, 1st floor James Watt St, have only recent photo`s, I`ll have to find them Dave ex Navy

chucka here`s James Watt St August 2008, The Navy Recruiting office was on the first floor, still remember it from early 1959,
then of to Ganges Dave

Attachments

• James Watt St August 2008,.jpg
    James Watt St August 2008,.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Plil and Dave for those great pics, i was suprised as i was led to believe that it had been demolished some time ago, Dave do you remember those old creaky steep stairs we had to climb, ?
Chucka

chucka unable to remember the stairs, long time ago, but remember climbing up to the first floor, my first visit might have been when i was still 14, as I arrived at Ganges at 15 and 2 months old in 1959, the start of a journey, Dave

chucka found this one Oct 1961, above the door, Army Recruiting Office

James Watt St

Attachments

• City James Watt St - Dalton St.JPG
    City James Watt St - Dalton St.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 11
The 1956 Kelly's shows two recruiting offices in James Watt Street - the Army place at No 14, on the north side of the street, just below Dalton Street, and the Navy place over the Crown pub on the other side of the street at the corner of Corporation Street. The recent colour photos are of the later Yates pub which seemed to be closed down in recent months. I nearly went in last year, but went to the Crown opposite which was not so noisy.
In 1956 the site of the recent Yates building was the Court Restaurant on the ground floor, with Salvation Army offices over. The Court was there in 1904, so it must have been a fairly solid establishment, possibly using the name as a cover for the pub which is what I seem to recall it as. This might have been to mollify their neighbours and possibly landlords, the Salvation Army, who used the accomodation upstairs for their purposes. By 1973 there was a firm, Associated Chemists (Birmingham) Ltd on the corner, next to the Dragon restaurant. I don't know when Yates took the property over, and it got a licence again.
I remember the old Yates Wine Lodge (aka Central Restaurant) at 15 Corporation Street, which ran through to 8 Cannon Street, but we're getting far off topic now. . . .
Peter

Church Lane Handsworth in the 50s.

Attachments

• Handsworth Church Lane 1956 (2).jpg
    Handsworth Church Lane 1956 (2).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 12
Perry Common Rd 1925

Attachments

• Perry Common Road in 1923.jpg
    Perry Common Road in 1923.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 13
Hi Pete you are right about there being 2 stations, as i remember when i failed my medical they offered to take me "Over the road and join the Army" they wasn't so strict on colour blindness apparently, needless to say i rejected the offer.

Chucka

!933 And we are in Stechford Road with the common on the left hand side.

Attachments

• Hodge Hill Stechford Rd Hodge hill Common 1933.JPG
    Hodge Hill Stechford Rd Hodge hill Common 1933.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 10
Back