• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zipporah Reynolds

felen

Brummie babby
Surely an unusual name (apparently Moses ` wife !) ran a tobacconist in Lichfield road after the death of her husband who was a tobacco pipe maker. In 1911 her daughter in law Phoebe was running one in Potters Hill Aston. Does anyone know anything about either of them ?
felen

In the Old Testament Book of Exodus, Zipporah is mentioned as the wife of Moses. But of curse that has little connection with the folks you mention.

1911 Zipporah age 58 managing Tobacconists at 164 Lichfield road Aston living with her children , Sarah 33 and Thomas 22.
her son William J Reynolds and his wife Phoebe nee Heeley are at Potters hill aston.

Zipporahs husband was William Reynolds born 1852 Leighton buzzard ,tobacco pipe maker

William Reynolds married Zipporah Bowater 1872 Aston. he died in 1895.

1881 census 14 Bracebridge street,

1891 census , 14 bracebridge street
William , Zipporah,Walter 18,William 14, Sarah 13,Thomas 2 Benjamin Bowater age 31 visitor.

1901 Avenue road, Aston Manor. Zipporah with Sarah and Thomas.

William Reynolds was the son of A Master pipe maker Thomas Reynolds from Huddersfield( he employed 5 men and 2 boys) his wife Sarah from Aylesbury Bucks

Zipporah bowater was the daughter of Joseph Bowater b Dudley (he was a Brass packer employing 1 man 3 boys) his wife Rebecca b Birmingham

Zipporah died age 80 in Aberyswyth 1932.

Last edited:
Many thanks for this which in part confirms what I had found out but also added some intriguing new information. Thomas Reynolds the master pipe maker (employing 5 men plus 2 boys).... would these be clay pipes. I have read that there was a resurgence of them in the 19th Century ??????? If so perhaps we could find some identifying "mark" ? Am getting side tracked ...as really interested in the Bowater side ...but it is really all so fascinating. Again thanks for the info
felen

1861 Fox street, Birmingham

joseph Bowater age 44 b Dudley Brass founder employ 1 man 3 boys
Rebecca age 42
Joseph 14
William 12
Elizabeth 11
Zipporah 9
Ben 12 months
Selina Helps? age 25 b Wiltshire ,visitor

Joseph Bowater father Samuel married Rebecca Slim father joseph
15th September 1839 St Phillips.

Thanks for this. I cannot believe the coincidence but I found that same pamphlet whilst idly searching the other afternoon ....and agree that it might well be (must be ?) the same Thomas Reynolds.........all we need now is a clay pipe with the Aston Reynolds mark !! .....and some info on why Zipporah went to Wales !! Again my thanks felen

Back