• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley House Hob Moor (Hobmoor) Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if this is a house recognised by anyone? Was it in Yardley ?

I think it's an unusual photo in that it shows a maid and possibly a gardener (?) In front of the house. Viv
Screenshot_20230331_161629_Chrome.jpg

rings no bells viv...i wonder if the actual house was called yardley house rather than just a house in yardley

lyn

There's a Yardley House listed on Flavell's Lane in 1901 in the occupation of a William Henry Garbett, an insurance agent and farmer. This map is from 1913, shape of house looks right...

0 - Yardley House.jpg

Agree MWS about the house footprint. And the map seems to show the similar frontage features (what could well be a porch over steps). There seems to be some sort of fence on the left in the photo which quite possibly forms part of, what appears to be, a tree-lined walk around the garden area. I'm fairly convinced this is the house in the photo.

I think the house is late Georgian. The Flavells had land in Yardley, all of which had been sold off by 1920 for housing development. Viv

Agree MWS about the house footprint. And the map seems to show the similar frontage features (what could well be a porch over steps). There seems to be some sort of fence on the left in the photo which quite possibly forms part of, what appears to be, a tree-lined walk around the garden area. I'm fairly convinced this is the house in the photo.

I think the house is late Georgian. The Flavells had land in Yardley, all of which had been sold off by 1920 for housing development. Viv
i agree viv...shame the house has gone

lyn

There is another photograph of this building on the Acocks Green History Society website and described as being on Hobmore Road.

Attachments

• D618DB59-5A2D-4EBA-9A68-4E0C0ADC402A.jpeg
    D618DB59-5A2D-4EBA-9A68-4E0C0ADC402A.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 19
Below a quote from Bill Dargue's site which mentions the House when describing the Yew Tree. The site of the House is where the Hob Moor School was built :

......... commercial centre of Yardley lies at the Yew Tree on the Outer Ring Road around the junction of Church Road and Stoney Lane. In the 19th century Yardley House stood here on a very large plot on Hob Moor Road and was owned by the Flavell family. The site is that of the present Hob Moor School.

In 1919 the family sold the immediate grounds and the house itself to the M&B brewery who built a handsome public house, The Yew Tree, on the corner between Hob Moor Road and Stoney Lane, a busy local route from the earliest times.

The Yew Tree pub was demolished in 2000.

Viv

Last edited:
There is another photograph of this building on the Acocks Green History Society website and described as being on Hobmore Road.
Thanks for this photo we can also see the structure to the left of the house, at the rear. Viv

Re Tinpots photo. I think the House might have a ha-ha in front of it. So there may, at one time, have been grazing animals in front of the house.

Additionally perhaps that's why there's a chain fence across it to remind people (in later times) of the drop ? Viv.

Last edited:
Looking at the geo-referenced map I think the house site must have been replaced by retail property, not a school (not as suggested in the quote, first para in post #10. Maybe the wording isn't too clear ?). If I've got this right the school is actually near Wash Lane. Maybe someone who knows the area can clarify. Viv

Looking on street view Viv, I think it must be the row of shops. Difficult as unclear how far back the house lay.

Looking at the geo-referenced map I think the house site must have been replaced by retail property, not a school (not as suggested in the quote, first para in post #10. Maybe the wording isn't too clear ?). If I've got this right the school is actually near Wash Lane. Maybe someone who knows the area can clarify. Viv
In 1950's the school was to the rear of Yew Tree pub seems it is now in Wash Lane.

I think the Dargue description is a bit confusing as the photo alongside is of the school that was situated on the road going towards the Swan.

Attachments

• AA50C6B0-92A6-43E9-B643-07496B259163.jpeg
    AA50C6B0-92A6-43E9-B643-07496B259163.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 9
I think the Dargue description is a bit confusing as the photo alongside is of the school that was situated on the road going towards the Swan.
Hobmoor Rd school was more or less where "Yew Tree Retail Park" is on your map. The school towards the Swan was/is Church Rd school.

Using the Library of Scotland geo-referencing resource posted by Janice the overlaid maps in the first image below show where the House was (red dot) in relation to the retail park units. There seems to be two sections to the retail park (or perhaps they're two separate enterprises?).

The House was just behind the shops on Hobmoor Road see the attached 2023 Streetview screenshot below. If it was still there today you'd have seen it through the gap between the shops. You can just see the corner of the retail unit through the gap, this would have roughly been the centre of the exterior wall facing Hobmoor Road. In fact if you dug up the carpark behind those shops I'd expect you'd find some clues to the former House ! Viv

Screenshot_20230408_133933_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230408_134410_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Using the Library of Scotland geo-referencing resource posted by Janice the overlaid maps in the first image below show where the House was (red dot) in relation to the retail park units. There seems to be two sections to the retail park (or perhaps they're two separate enterprises?).

The House was just behind the shops on Hobmoor Road see the attached 2023 Streetview screenshot below. If it was still there today you'd have seen it through the gap between the shops. You can just see the corner of the retail unit through the gap, this would have roughly been the centre of the exterior wall facing Hobmoor Road. In fact if you dug up the carpark behind those shops I'd expect you'd find some clues to the former House ! Viv

View attachment 179316
View attachment 179317
There is a history of the house and land on Midlandspubs website under Yew Tree Inn.

Is it possible that the houses on the closed circular end of Heathfield Ave is built on the field area in front of the house and Blakesley Mews is on the site of the original building?

Attachments

• 932EC0DD-6E65-4E0C-9F6F-66589C499FB6.jpeg
    932EC0DD-6E65-4E0C-9F6F-66589C499FB6.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 6
  • F6CBE8D4-F594-4D6C-8EB8-C1CA4A14CE1F.jpeg
    F6CBE8D4-F594-4D6C-8EB8-C1CA4A14CE1F.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 6
Back