• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley cemetery

Hi Lindyloo,
Just had a quick look at your pictures, so I can get a feel of where she is buried, I dont expect her to have a headstone to be honest, but maybe I will be able to see where her grave is !!

Thank you
Jan

Hi Jan,
Its not far from me, so I will go as soon as I get chance, although the way things are at the moment Sparkhill Boy may just get there before me and he has further to come !!!

Any time, that would be brilliant, thanks so much, cant wait to see if one of you can find her grave, I wouldnt imagine that it is very well looked after as there is no family left living there, but still, would be nice to know where she is buried!!!

Jan

After reading Jennyann's post (5) I emailed Yardley with what info I had regarding my Father's death also details of my maternal Grandparents and a very nice lady emailed me back with the numbers and sections. I am so thrilled.

I, like others, will never be able to visit their graves or sadly take a photo. So could I beg, if someone is going to be there, would they be so kind enough to take a photo for me please?

I never knew my Father as he died 2 months before I was born.

Thank you for your time and a special thanks to Jennyann for posting the email address of Yardley.

Hi Rowan,

If you let me have the details, I will gladly go up to the cemetery and take the photos for you.
Just please be aware that a lot of the graves have been damaged, and a lot of stones are missing.

Ann

Hi janparf,
I have just got back from the cemetery, I found the plot where your Jane is buried, but as you suspected there is no headstone and there are no other markings at all. fortunately it was easy to work out which one it was because other graves either side have their numbers intact. I will add the photos to the album now.

Rowan, had I seen your post earlier I would have looked for yours too, but Im sure Ann B will find it for you

Lynne

Thank you Lynne,

Would be good to see where she is anyway, as i said, I didnt expect there to be a head stone, but never mind.

I wish I lived near to go & visit the grave, as I feel sad that there is no one left to look after the grave. Im still wondering why the grave was purchased for 3 people & only Jane Hannah was buried there alone ??

Thank you so much again, will keep an eye out for the photo,
Best wishes
Jan

Hi Lynne,

Thank you so much for that, just had a look at the pictures, such a shame there is no one to look after the grave any more.

Will print that off if that is ok with you, and put it with my family history.

Thanks you again,
Jan

Hi Jan,
Glad I was able to find what you needed and of course you are welcome to print off the pictures,... it gave me the opportunity to say a few words to my own family members that rest there.
Lynne

With the help of the Ladies in the Yardley Cemetery office, I managed to find my Grandparents grave yesterday,
I was surprised to find there was a headstone, still intact, my Grandfather was buried in 1912 and my Grandmother in 1949,
We are going to try and clean it up, most of the inscription is still readable.

Nick

Nick I am so pleased you have found your families grave and headstone. Just a word of warning be careful what you clean it with as household detergents can damage the material as its quite old. You can purchase a special cleaner for memorials, Bettetware do one, you may also find some on the net. Please don't use products like Cillit Bang these will do more damage than time.:)

Neville,
If you email yardleycem&crem@birmingham.gov.uk and give them the details of your late brother I am sure they will help you in locating his grave. They were most kind wheni asked them.

Hello Rowan,

Thanks for the advice but don't have enough detail for Yardley
to provide a definitive answer as to grave location.

Will contact them regarding a dedicated childrens area.

thanks Neville..

Hi Janparf. As promised visited Yardley Cemetery and found Jane Hannah Smiths grave. Sadly it is unmarked and it is only a patch of mown grass. I have taken a picture of it, which looks like any other patch of grass which of course I will send you if you wish. However, I took the liberty of leaving a flower on your behalf.
Regards, Graham

Graham what a kind gesture I am sure Janparf will be pleased........I think this is why I love this site!:)

My ex-father-in-law was named Charles Richard Maisey and is buried at Yardley Cemetery. He died at age 57, in the last quarter of 1960 and I was wondering how to find his exact date of death. I live in California and have no living relatives ('ex' or otherwise) in the UK that could drop by and check this out for me. Is it possible to email the staff at the cemetery and find out if their records would include this information? :)

You could try sending an email with the information you have. They may only be able to tell you the date of burial and place of death. The only way to get full information is to send for a certificate. I would give it a try anyway.:)

Hi ealex,
Below are the details for Yardley, they may have the information but if not you would need to order his death certificate from the GRO giving all the details from the death index..ie year, quarter, name, place, and volume and page number.
https://www.gro.gov.uk

Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium,
Yardley Road
South Yardley
Birmingham
B25 8NA

Tel: 0121 708 1831 or 0121 708 2183
Fax: 0121 706 9142
e-mail: yardleycem&crem@birmingham.gov.uk

If you need further help let me know
Lindyloo

Dear Lindyloo and Wendy,

Yesterday I emailed Yardley cemetery with the information that I posted here and this morning they responded with the answers I had been seeking.
Thanks for your advice and a 'thankyou' to the staff at Yardley!

Dear ealex,
I am happy to hear you have the information!!
I live not far from Yardley Cemetary and sometimes go there to visit family graves.
I believe you said it was a burial, if you have the plot number and would like a photograph for your records I will see if I can locate it next time Im there.
Regards Lindyloo

Dear Lindyloo and Wendy,

Yesterday I emailed Yardley cemetery with the information that I posted here and this morning they responded with the answers I had been seeking.
Thanks for your advice and a 'thankyou' to the staff at Yardley!

That is brilliant news I am so pleased they could help. Cemetery staff have a very busy job and I am always greatful when they help us Family Historians. Lindyloo thats a very kind offer as well.:)

Hi Wendy,
Thankyou :) its an open offer for anyone who genuinly cant get there....I dont mind going providing the weather is ok !!!

Hi Lindyloo,

I had forgotten (after almost 50 years), that it was a cremation and the following is the information that I received from the Admin Assistant at Yardley:

"I have searched the registers for the late Charles Richard Maisey and have the following information for you:

He was cremated at Yardley Crematorium not buried in a grave, the cremation took place on 17/11/1960 and his date of death recorded as 13/11/1960. His residence at the time of death was 19 Monica Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

His cremated remains were scattered upon the North East Lawn within the Gardens of Remembrance."

But anyway, thanks for your kind offer!

Hi ealex,
After that long I would probably have forgotten to!! but at least you got the info you required. :)

Yardley Cemetery

Hi,
I wonder if there is a kind person out there who lives nearby Yardley Cemetery or who can visit easily and take down the details of a grave stone, and take a picture or two.. I have located my great great grandfather grave there, details as follows :

FRANK LAZARUS - buried 23 May 1904 - Grave Number 23702, Plot 20.

I would be most grateful to anyone who offers to do this, I live down in the West Country, am disabled and can not drive. Hey, ho.
Look for ward to a reply, thank a lot.

JamieB

Hi JamieB,

I have written down the details of your request and I will go and have a look as soon as I get chance..weather permitting of course.

Do you know which section the grave is in as this will make it easier to find....if not, I can ask at the office

Regards
Lindyloo

Last edited:
Back