• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Look up

louloubaby162

knowlegable brummie
Would there be anyone willing to help me find out more information about an ancester who served in WW1. Name: Henry E Johnson Reg No: 961985.

I know the following: Driver , Royal Field Artilery, I have medal card which i found from his medal.

Where do i go next? Can you find out anymore details?

I have found a Gnr H. Johnson RFA not sure if it's the right one, it mentions the address Woodland Road, Handsworth, any good

Colin

No, don't apply to the MOD - yet. It depends on the answer to Mike Fisher's question above. If Henry was out of the army before 1922 the record will not be held by the MOD; it will have been released to the public. It will be among the records now searchable on Ancestry - but with only a 1 in 3 chance that it has survived. If he served in 1922 or later the MOD will have it. There is a £30 application fee with the MOD, so have a search of Ancestry first.

This is what i know:

When i started researching my family tree i was given a medal that was engraved :
961985 DVR HE JOHNSON RA 1914 - 1918
I found the medal card relating to this for a Henry E Johnson Driver with the Royal Field Artiliary.
I think he served before 1922 but i'm not sure when he was born or died??

The surviving records are all freely available on microfilm at the National Archives at Kew.

The Veteran's Agency can't help unless he continued to serve after 1921.

Back