• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wrong Information

carolina

master brummie
On the website Ancestry.co.uk I find it really aggrevating when other members attach information and photos from my own tree into theirs - not in this country I might add. I have 2 members that as soon as I put info' onto my tree they add it on theirs which I know looking at their family tree is not the same family mine. One even has a photo of my grandparents on their opening page :backstab:

dont worry about it too much carolina. it may be annoying but if anyone DOES happen to have the same tree, and has any photos, it will be great for you to attach those photos to your tree. i have had the same happen to me but i have also got one or two photos or documents from other people who DO have my tree. if it does upset you though you can contact the tree owner and tell them that they have the wrong people attached to their tree, so should remove the photograph :) shera

I agree though Carolina, it can be frustrating when you know the info is not theirs!
But also like Shera, I have been able to add another connection to my tree from an Australian relative, so can see the good side too!
Sue

Hi, As with all Ancestry tree's online you do have a choice of it being a public or private tree where individuals have to contact you for info. Just go into settings and change.

I will share my information with anybody but hate it after telling them its not the same family they do not take my information off their tree.

It is even more frustrating when you go to the IGI and find a marriage of your grandfather submitted by someone who has the right people,right place, wrong date and year.

As my grandfather only had one child my father, and I also have a copy of the marriage certificate this must be someones extended family.

I've had the same thing happen this week on Ancestry. My tree is public, BUT I think it's very bad manners to take a photograph from someone's tree without even a message to say 'hi'. In this instance I sent a polite message to the person saying I'd noticed he'd used the photo and asking precisely what relative he is to me. The answer came back that he is a very very distant relative - but I still don't think he's picked up the fact that I'm rather miffed - in fact he's taken another since then!
I'm more concerned about Genes Reunited. I don't have a paid sunscription, just the basic membership, and I certainly haven't put my own details on. So you can imagine my surprise (and hooror) when I idly typed my own name into the search box and found my details on someone else's tree. Name, date and place of birth for all to see! I don't recognise the person's name at all, and, because I'm not a paid member I can't send a message! A friend who is a member has tried, but he's just ignored them.
I think Genes Reunited are handing info to identity thieves on a plate, and there's nothing we can do about it apparently.

I also think its bad manners to copy someones tree without permission. You may have to change the privacy options. I haven't joined any site yet. What's the best one?

I've had the same thing happen this week on Ancestry. My tree is public, BUT I think it's very bad manners to take a photograph from someone's tree without even a message to say 'hi'. In this instance I sent a polite message to the person saying I'd noticed he'd used the photo and asking precisely what relative he is to me. The answer came back that he is a very very distant relative - but I still don't think he's picked up the fact that I'm rather miffed - in fact he's taken another since then!
I'm more concerned about Genes Reunited. I don't have a paid sunscription, just the basic membership, and I certainly haven't put my own details on. So you can imagine my surprise (and hooror) when I idly typed my own name into the search box and found my details on someone else's tree. Name, date and place of birth for all to see! I don't recognise the person's name at all, and, because I'm not a paid member I can't send a message! A friend who is a member has tried, but he's just ignored them.
I think Genes Reunited are handing info to identity thieves on a plate, and there's nothing we can do about it apparently.

Seabird, on Genes Reunited "Hide" Living Relatives, this will stop that happening,
Whenever I find that has happened to me I write to the person concerned asking them as a matter of priority to remove my name from their tree.
If you want to PM me with your details I will contact the person on your behalf.

on ancestry it seems to be automatic that no living persons details are shown for anyone else to see, even when your tree is public. i think thats very important.

That's right Shera, it says in the membership info when you sign up that no living persons info will be shown and it is then up to anyone viewing your tree to contact you for further details of live people I think that's a good idea, albeit frustrating when that person no longer subscribes so you can't check details with them!
Judith Ancestry isn't a bad site depending on where your research takes you, but if you can manage a one off subscription payment rather than monthly, Find my past seems better. Don't forget there is Familysearch.org whch has free access too
Sue

Back