• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Would anyone know the name of this street please and what occupation is a German Silver Polisher?

AMW

master brummie
Hi

Can anyone make out the name of this street please in 1847. Also what is a German Silver Polisher?
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Alisonhttps___www.gro.gov.uk_gro_content_certificates_ov_00000074684160065928_6033877_41QTL6YF8848ASH.jpg

looks like northwood st to me...its in the jewellery quarter i think which ties in with the occupation..i think german polishing has been mentioned on the forum before...try putting it into the search box to see what comes up

lyn

German Silver was an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc , which polishes to look like silver. Isaacn would have been employed to polish whatever his employer manufactured. It does not seem that he was at work, though could have been a home worker, as the 1845 directory lists no 53 as being occupied by a painter and glazier (though orhers may have lived in the house). However , there would have been many places he could have been employed. The nearest would be Ebeneezer Barber , a gilt toy manufacturer (german silver made a good backing for plating with such as gold or silver), at no 46 and James Hardy , general plater, at no 47

Hi Mikejee
Thank you so much for your answer and explanation of German Silver. Where do you find the 1845 directory please?
Best wishes
Alison

The Kellys was from a commercially purchased disc from https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/. I attach a copy of the relevant page. also a map from the 1880s showing where I am pretty certain no 53 was. Although that was later I would expect that the street houses would generally have been the same houses, though with additions behind the street houses . If not that house, then It would have been one of them either side of it. I should point out that since then the numbering in the street has been changed.

Kellys part northwood st 1845.jpgmap 1880s showing 53 Northwood st at that time.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Crikey thank you. You are such a mine of information. I get so confused by the addresses and courts etc., so would the address have been Court 6, 53 Northwood Road?

The certificate shows where he died. Its probable that this would have been his home, in which case 53 Northwood Road. Not "6Court". That listing of the court was just to show where court 6 was in the list of businesses, between Frederick Place and no 46

The certificate shows where he died. Its probable that this would have been his home, in which case 53 Northwood Road. Not "6Court". That listing of the court was just to show where court 6 was in the list of businesses, between Frederick Place and no 46
Thanks for that. When I use the census I have a lot of people who live at the 'back of' or '6 court 3 house' etc. I am not sure how the numbering system of back to backs actually work.

Some answers to your question here

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Back