• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Back to Backs, Courts and Houses and Street Names

AMW

master brummie
Hi
I am trying to locate someone in the census, James Callow, by searching different addresses the person may be in. However I am a bit confused as to how the houses were numbered etc. For instance I am looking for 2 house 16 Great Hampton Street but sometimes the address has been written as 16 2 Great Hampton Street. Another address has been written 27/7 Barr Street. Or another is the back of... is there any method to finding an address on the census and on the Rates Books and Electoral Roles. Also I'm confused as to all the different parishes within Birmingham eg St Paul's, St George's and how half of Great Hampton Street may be in two different parishes.

Best wishes
Alison

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate place. I'm afraid there is no way much to simplify things. Sometimes addresses are written in several ways , and it is not always clear which is meant, though obviously 3/244 would not refer to a court with 244 houses. but when both numbers are small, you just have to try both possibilities.If houses are actually described as Back ..., then at least you know that the second number is the street number. To further complicate it, sometimes court numbers are used or court names, and this can change within 20 years. I myself find it a little easier, as I have access to directories , which can give me help, but most do not have that facility.
As to the matter of parishes, the borders hav e to go somewhere, and where you have a fairly long road, it is likmely to be split soemwhere. Slorry if I hav e not b een much help.

3/244 would normally mean 3 back of 244 i.e. number 3 house in the terrace at the back of house 244 in the street.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Another address has been written 27/7 Barr Street.

Best wishes
Alison
On the 1901 census this address is 27 court 7 house. A look at some maps and comparing with the census shows that court 27 was actually at the back of 127 Barr street. Older maps don't show numbers and this map shows the court much later. I think some houses in the court had gone by then as there are more than 5 houses on the census of 1901.
1617448765324.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
On the 1901 census this address is 27 court 2 house. A look at some maps and comparing with the census shows that court 27 was actually at the back of 127 Barr street. Older maps don't show numbers and this map shows the court much later. I think some houses in the court had gone by then as there are more than 5 houses on the census of 1901.
View attachment 155439
In 1891 his address was 21 ct 3 house so similar - house number 3 in court 21.

• Appreciate
On the 1901 census this address is 27 court 7 house. A look at some maps and comparing with the census shows that court 27 was actually at the back of 127 Barr street. Older maps don't show numbers and this map shows the court much later. I think some houses in the court had gone by then as there are more than 5 houses on the census of 1901.
View attachment 155439
Yes Janice I think you are correct, probably another 3 houses.

Attachments

• barr-st.jpg
    barr-st.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 13
Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I have moved this thread to a more appropriate place. I'm afraid there is no way much to simplify things. Sometimes addresses are written in several ways , and it is not always clear which is meant, though obviously 3/244 would not refer to a court with 244 houses. but when both numbers are small, you just have to try both possibilities.If houses are actually described as Back ..., then at least you know that the second number is the street number. To further complicate it, sometimes court numbers are used or court names, and this can change within 20 years. I myself find it a little easier, as I have access to directories , which can give me help, but most do not have that facility.
As to the matter of parishes, the borders hav e to go somewhere, and where you have a fairly long road, it is likmely to be split soemwhere. Slorry if I hav e not b een much help.
I didn't realise that the numbering system would be so complicated. But thanks everyone for your replies and thanks Janice for locating James. This web site is really so very useful.

Back