• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodyatt

Hello,
I am curious. Would your Steadman's possibly be related to a Sidney A Steadman who married Beryl J Rawlins in 1949 Birmingham England?
Regards
Carol

Hi helen
i have just picked up on your rsearch and you mentioned the steadmans family and to me its sounds familiar of elenor . Sid .ted
and having kids one by the name of ronald whom i did know and a couple of sisters when growing up and about four years ago i met up with his ronald stedman as he his a cousin to a life long fiend of mine named dave allen whom is incidently a cousin to ronald steadman at daves sons wedding
just at this precise moment i just cannot put my tongue around the mothers name but its all sounds very familiar they lived in the back to back houses as well not all that far from the train station ronald lived with his parents in king edwards rd ladywood and just across the rd from his house was daves
so they were almost facing each other there is a picture of ronald steadman standing at a push chair with david looking in
at a baby sister of daves on he ladywood site of yester years and far as i know this ronald still lives with in the ladywood area and his a member of the lady wood social club which is by the ciy centre so it may be and may be not be any connection but if one of our experts was to a quick run down on he steadmans family for the forties and fifties it may or it may not bear fruit as of being distant cousins or even relatives of the people you are seeking best of luck astonian

Hello, this is Carol, not Helen,
I asked about Sidney A Steadman and Beryl Rawlins (his wife).

I'm thinking........is there an address for this Ladywood Social Club that you mentioned?
Thank you
Carol

hi carol
yes i think it was sidney steadman i do beleive and he was abit large type of guy and tallish with it
i have not got daves telephone number to ring him up whom is related to the steadmans family as i said i
he is the cousin to ronald and i am sure we met many years ago as they wasmore or less neibours they had a back house and it was painted pink
it certainly brighened up the yard they was living in and he kept a big american motor he used to drive for a while
i will do my best over the wek end to try and find more details of them its about time i paid a visit to dave in brom
he lives in crab tre rd hockley and i know ronald usees the ladywood social club as i was going to take over it a couple of years ago and when he told me its his
local and told me three parts of ladywood characters are members i thought no they would expect the after sessions after hours drinking but i do not
do them and its was the same of the barford rd club i was offered it but declined for the same reason full house of the ladywood and winson green people i new
hav a nice day best wishes astonian

Hello Astonian,
I appreciate your doing this for me. Thank You.
I googled that Social Club and it appears if is in the vicinity of Ladywood Road where my rellies were greengrocer/fruiters . I try to picture where
all these streets and places are - I get a bit confuseled sometimes. :) I'm laughing.
Many thanks
Carol

HI CAROL
King edwards rd was about a mile down the rd from lady wood rd and the shop you are on about suggesting the fruiters shop i think it was the top endof ladywood rd
when youu google lady wod rd inyou get the new ladywood rd the old ladywood rd was a narrow rd not like today i remember a fruit shop and various others
and the demolition of the whole area we used to go in those bombed out houses and shops and search the cellars for any war bits and bobs to treaure
and there was a park there we kids called it blue bottle park because it was next to the police station of ladywood nick c division of h west midlands police force
i am sure some one wll find a picture of the od ladywood rd and you may just se your shop the club was built to the new police station you will also se he old one if any body puts up for show best wishes Astonian

HI CAROL
King edwards rd was about a mile down the rd from lady wood rd and the shop you are on about suggesting the fruiters shop i think it was the top endof ladywood rd
when youu google lady wod rd inyou get the new ladywood rd the old ladywood rd was a narrow rd not like today i remember a fruit shop and various others
and the demolition of the whole area we used to go in those bombed out houses and shops and search the cellars for any war bits and bobs to treaure
and there was a park there we kids called it blue bottle park because it was next to the police station of ladywood nick c division of h west midlands police force
i am sure some one wll find a picture of the od ladywood rd and you may just se your shop the club was built to the new police station you will also se he old one if any body puts up for show best wishes Astonian

Thank you so much. I didn't realize there was an old ladywood rd and a new one. I love reading all about the area where my ancestors lived. Regards, Carol

My 4x gt grandfather was Thomas Woodyatt born 1786 a Baker in Bristol. He had four children Simon, Ann, Marry and Emma all born in Bristol. I have never come across a Birmingham connection but its a possibility. I think he may have died in St Peters Hospital with the informant being someone by the name of Stadon.

Back