• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Taylor, Iron founder, 24 August 1816 – 1895

Jason Ellis

master brummie
I am seeking information on William Taylor, Iron founder, 24 August 1816 – 1895. More specifically I am trying to prove or disprove if it was his iron that was used to build Euston station in London. He was born in Birmingham and died in Aston. He married Ann Elizabeth Corbett in 1842 at Edgbaston. I can place him on every census as ironmonger, iron founder, iron caster. But I can't find anything that links him to Euston station which Is what somebody else has done without providing any sources. It is not helpful when searching, that the secretary of the railway company at that time was also a William Taylor, but I think that is just a coincidence.

This is presumably the william Taylor, who is listed in Pgots 1841 directory as Ironfounder and fender maker at 66 Moor St, which became Taylor & Naish, general ironfounders at the same address in the 1845 and 1849 PO directories. The partnership appears to have finished in 1847, and the site was put up for sale in 1858. I am a bit mystified by mention of Seymour st, of which I cannot find mention of near Moor St. Nor any mention of euston

aris birm gaz.20.12.1858.jpgCoventry syandard.14.5.1847.jpg

I would assume that the supposed connection for ironwork would have been for the reconstruction of 1848. Though, as Jason has indicated, can find no reference to his involvment

Back