• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilmot Breeden Breeden Apprenticeship

Barrie Allsop

I completed a five year commercial apprenticeship at Willmot Breeden in 1965. I spent time in various departments in Tyesley and Central Birmingham. I found the operational research department the most interesting. The head was Mr.WGGamon however I spent a considerable time with Mr. N C Maizels. During this time I was involved in various projects that were intended to find ways to improve some of the processes and techniques in the factory. Chrome plating was one of these studies. During the fourth year I applied to go through a training course so that’s could program a De La Rue machine that had been ordered by our MD after a visit to our branch near Paris. This machine was a forerunner of what was to become the software programmable computers that emerged in the mid 1960’s. Consultants were engaged to assist us to design a system to control the planning and operation of the factory specifically aimed at component supply to most of the countries car manufacturers. I worked many long hours to implement the programmes needed to get the equipment to produce the data that was considered would improve the component forecasting and factory scheduling to meet customer demands. We eventually got the system operational, but is was received with considerable scepticism by the production department. I was nearing the end of my apprenticeship when ICT introduced a range of software based machines called the 1900 series and our directors concluded that replacing the De La Rue Bull system with the ICT. System would be the best way forward. I was inevitably expected to be closely involved with the implementation but as I finished my apprenticeship I was offered a job with ICL in their Birmingham based technical support team. This arrangement included my continued work to complete the implementation of the new 1902 system at Wilmot. Breeden. During this period I also attended a day release course at what is now Aston University. As part of this course I produced a document based on Wilmot Breeden. I still have this document.

Back