• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who's Got MotorBikes ?

S

steve smith

Hi,

Thought it might be interesting to see how many people are into bike and out on the streets riding around.

I am currently on a Kawazaki Z750S which I use for work 365 days. Been doing this for about 12 years now and love it, even in the winter..

Hi Steve,

my hubbie and I have a 2001GL Goldwing 1800. He rides, I sit on the back and enjoy!. He never thought he would buy an "old man's bike" but as we live in Canada and our rides are usually hours or days long we decided on a cruiser. ( my bum is too big for those little racer type seats now - it's a big queen seat for me) He would love to ride it to work all year but the weather usually gets bad in December and doesn't improve until April - we're talking freezing rain and snow. (It's sad to see a grown man looking at his bike in February with longing in his eyes)

We had a CX500 in our late teens when we lived in England. We really miss the hedgerows? It is so windy here sometimes and there are wide open fields with big blasts of wind, you can be banking one way around a corner and a gust of wind hits and pushes you the other way.

There is a big motorcyle meet in Ontario at a place called Port Dover whenever the 13th falls on a Friday. We went down a few years ago, some great bikes and "unique" sights. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Harley's are very big over here. Nice looking but soooo noisy. We drove out West to Alberta a few years ago, about a 3 day drive, and kept meeting up with a couple doing the same route on a Harley. Being into bikes we would ask them how their 8hr day went. They said they couldn't hear a thing for the first 30 minutes off the bike as the noise had temporarily deafened them. Not my idea of fun!

We also tow a trailer behind our bike sometimes when we camp - we can carry all our camping gear, food and beer.

I was over in England in April and the roads seem to be crazier than ever not sure how I would feel on the back of the bike there now. I did notice that there were lots of "watch out for motorcycles" type signs. We tried to hire a bike in England a few years ago but the cost was prohibitive.

Nice to know there are other riders on the site.

Dympna

Hi Steve and Dymphna ....Wales is a great place for biking, but not for good biking weather!! Mroe polishing takes place than riding here I'm sad to say.
I'm more of a biker old boiler than biker chick and can identify with your seat issues Dymphna. We aren't all 16 years old and 7 stone ....so why is it sports bike manufacturers think all we pillion riders want to perch on a brick with our knees up under our chin??

Bikes that have passed through our garage include Honda FJR, Daytona, 3 Triumph Thunderbirds, Triumph Trophy, Motor Guzzi California, Kawasaki ZZR 1100 to name but few!
Currently in residence are a Triumph Adventurer, a Honda VTX 1800, a Yamaha XJR 1300 and an Ariel Golden Arrow (in bits awaiting restoration).

Once a biker always a biker .....My husband and I met through mutual biking friends and the first Xmas present he bought me was a full set of leathers and a helmet so I had an idea of what was in store!
There's a great biking community here and some wonderful roads ...so long as you watch out for stray sheep, muck on the road and vintage tractors with even more vintage drivers.
I'd not want to be biking in Birmingham and take my hat* off to those of you who do (*should that be helmet??)

I'm something of a bike enthusiast. Currently roadworthy and legal are 1969 Triumph TR6 Trophy in black and chrome and gorgeous, 1994 Honda Fireblade rolling road Dynojetted, free-flow air filter and aftermarket can, Urban Tiger, foxeye......very, very fast but dainty. 1985 Kawasaki GPz900R in red, rolling road Dynojetted etc etc.....very fast, not dainty! 1985 Yamaha YPVS 350 with Stan Stevens engine tune and lightweight race derived fairing/s, simply THE BEST fun. Dainty, exciting and ...Wheelie, Sir? Certainly.
Off the road and in need of remedial attention....4 BSA Bantams, various ages and specifications, a 1954 New Hudson 100cc Autocycle, two Honda ST70 Monkeybikes, 1974 and 1975, and a grocer's delivery bike fitted with a BSA Winged Wheel. Oh, and a 1937 Morris 8 4-Door with the full sliding sunroof and opening windscreen.
My first ever motorised transport was a 1954 125 Bantam. My brother bought me a copy of Tuning for Speed by Phil Irvine for Christmas of that year.....with the aid of some files and other kit that bike's top speed was doubled. Oh how we laughed! Got bored with that and obtained a Royal Enfield Crusader 250. Got bored with that even sooner and swapped it for a Ford 100E van....which was dreadful and got swapped for a Matchless G9 500 twin which was rather good fun...until boredom set in. Bought a G45 race kit for it...now this really was fun. Open megaphones, high compression pistons and race camshaft worked very well, thank you!
Joe Francis Motorcycles of New Eltham, London had a lot to answer for.....and a great deal to be thanked for. Bless!

My name is Ian and I am........an adrenaline junky.

Ian.

My current bike is a Triumph Trophy 900 :):)

Forgot to add, both my car (Jaguar XJ8) and bike are BRITISH!! :greatbritainflag:

Last edited:
This is our sons motorbike. He went on the Ryans Ryde fund raising at Stourport with the old farts club who were stewards and the ride raised £9.000. His twin brother started this thread and he too has bikes one for work and the other for club events. You can google the ride from last year. It was at Evesham. Bye. Jean.

Can someone please explain why many bikers have their headlights on full-beam thus blinding anyone coming in the opposite direction? Three weeks ago I damn near crashed my car because some ****** on a huge chrome-plated bike had his twin lights on full-beam along the Aldridge Road in Streetly at 1.00am. Flashing my lights made no difference to this moron - he kept his lights on full beam as thought I didn't exist. Please don't tell me that they do it so 'they can be seen'....

Also, about a year ago, I was driving on the M5 near Worcester. I was in Lane 3, doing about 80 (I admit) when a biker obviously thought that 80 mph wasn't fast enough, so overtook me by driving between my car and the Armco crash-barrier! I got his number, phoned the police, but they said it would be my word against his, rather as I expected...

You can probably tell by this that I'm not a massive fan of bikers....

Big Gee

They scare the living daylights out of me Big Gee but I think the older bikers are more responsible especially family men or women of course. The old farts club get together on fund raising events and our lads are quite young at 43. Now the new car one of them is having tomorrow I will be going for a ride in. Jean.

Hi i have a suzi 1800
_DSC0980_edited-1.jpg

Re: Who's Got MotorBikes ?

I have an R1 and yes you can see it in my pic.

Not really it is my sons and he has gone throught lots of bikes over the years.

I,ve a suzuki 1200 bandit,and the wife a kawasaki vn800,we,ve both been bikers for over 30yrs,useing them for getting to work and holidays abroad,and still enjoying them as much now as we ever did,maybe more with hardly any break downs and better clothing than the early years.

I have a Honda Fireblade, and a Yamaha 350 F2 YPVS, and built a BSA 500cc B33 chopper years ago which I sold to a chap in Acocks Green in 1991.
I would love to have this bike back, but cannot trace it, the reg. number is 00C 518, if anyone knows of it I would be extremely gratefull.

A group of retired riders from the Kings Norton Motorcycle Club meet every Tuesday morning [weather permitting] for a ride out of about 100miles, its called the wrinkly run, but great fun and good company.

I have had motorcycles since 1953, when I started my apprentiship at BSA.

Looks like the BSA, OOC 518, hasn't been registered since you sold it in 1991, another project in another shed?
Date of Liability 01 04 1991 Date of First Registration 23 10 1953 Year of Manufacture Not Available Cylinder Capacity (cc) 500CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour GREEN

This is one of Steve's motorbikes. He and his brother attended a weekend meet up in Halesowen somewhere. Jean. Will have to post it later as I can't get past manage attachments. Jean.

Pat I will find out later but it wasn't at the bike garage and it was a weekend bikers get together. Bye. Jean.

By a coincidence I just had an email containing these pics. I'm not a motorbike person, but you have to marvel at the ingenuity of some people.

Terry

Shall we start a Birmingham History Bikers Section and arrange some ride outs for 2010.

Who is riding to Wootton Bassett on Mothers Day ?.

Zak that sounds great will try and get the bikers club to join the forum and for Steve to start posting again. Jean.

I have a Honda Fireblade, and a Yamaha 350 F2 YPVS, and built a BSA 500cc B33 chopper years ago which I sold to a chap in Acocks Green in 1991.
I would love to have this bike back, but cannot trace it, the reg. number is 00C 518, if anyone knows of it I would be extremely gratefull.

A group of retired riders from the Kings Norton Motorcycle Club meet every Tuesday morning [weather permitting] for a ride out of about 100miles, its called the wrinkly run, but great fun and good company.

I have had motorcycles since 1953, when I started my apprentiship at BSA.

I think Billy Reynolds ( Ex BSA Test ) maybe a member of your club, If he is and you see him pass on my regards. Also look at my BSA page on " flickr ". Lou Dalby Ex Test and Insp BSA 1948 - 1957.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/1428630792/in/set-72157622597337102/

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photo's sent to me from Malta. The first bike is owned by Joseph my friends son. He is travelling all over Europe on it this summer. Jean.

These were taken at the weekend at a bikers yearly get together at Southport. They all had a fantastic time as you can see. Jean.

Zak just been on the phone to one of the lads who said the Mothers day ride to Wooten Basset is full and are taking no more riders. 14,000 are going at £5.00 per bike. It will be donated to a charity but am not quite sure what the title is but I am sure someone will know. Jean.

Back