• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who do you remember?

Thanks Johnny Wendy announced his death on the forum. I heard you were at the funeral from Brian and Kenny Martin went back after the funeral I heard?. Mossg hope you are right?. Jean.

mossq

so far you have got 8 names right, but you have got one of them attributed to the wrong group

Anybody want to have a last attempt before I put the answers up later this evening?

Yes, I'll have a go.

3. I recognise two of the band members on this photo (I think!) Keith Smart and Mick Hopkins but I can't remember the bands name! Wages of Sin?

6. Agree it looks like Gerry Levine and the Avengers (I lived opposite Michael aka Gerry as a child)

7 The D'Fenders

10 the Uglies

11.Spencer Davies Group

The guy standing at the back in picture number 5 does look a bit like Robert Plant but I don't think it is as the other three don't look like the original members of the Band of Joy or his previous band Listen (but I could be wrong....!)

My final offer
1.?
2.?
3. The Fortunes
4. The Rockin' Berries
5. Electric String Band
6. Gerry Levene and the Avengers
7. Idle Race
8. Steve Brett and the Mavericks
9. ?
10. Carl Wayne and the Vikings
11. Sencer Davis Group

Viv.

Between you all you have managed to find 9 out of the 11, as we are near the end of the competition I will tell you that the correct names for 3 & 9 need yet to be found. I will put the answers up at 8.00.p.m.

My last shot at number 3, I've been looking at it all afternoon - not Pinkerton's but the Lemon Tree?

Sad really the only ones I remember are the "Rocking Berries" and "Moody Blues", great thread though enjoyed reading it.
paul

This is my last attempt,having taken guidance from everyone who has taken part in this enjoyable quiz.

1/Keith Powell & the Valets
2/The Modernaires
3/Wages of sin
4/Rocking Berries
5/Johhny Neal & the Starliners
6/Gerry Lavene & the Avengers
7/The D'fenders
8/The Congressmen
9/?????
10/Band of Joy
11/Spencer Davis group
I have probably got fewer correct than i did on my last attempt.

Moss

OK the moment you have all been waiting for, the list of answers. Thanks to all those who had a go, between you all you managed to get 10 out of the 11 groups and I thought that pretty good it was only No 9 that managed to stump you though several named them in the wrong place. If you want to check the line up of the groups as named then most of them can be checked here,

https://www.brumbeat.net/bandindx.htm

And here is the list of answers,

1 Keith Powell & the Valets
2 Modernaires
3 Lemon Tree
4 The Rocking Berries
5 Johnny Neal & the Starliners
6 Gerry Levene & the Avengers
7 The Defenders
8 The Congressmen
9 The Vikings
10 The Uglies
11 Spencer Davis

Yes that's right Jean. My friend and I used to stand and admire their car, a Triumph Herald in moss green with wooden dash. We thought it was soooooo cool! I went to the same junior school (Cranbourn Road/ Kingsthorne). My mum and Mrs W used to often stop and chat. I think they had a baby grand piano in their front room, their dad was also a musician. Well that's what my mum told me! Viv.

Glad you all enjoyed the little quiz, if you would like another please let me know. Though I think it would have to be more general that pop personalities. Perhaps famous Birmingham people through the ages?

Phil

Back