• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who do you remember?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Just a bit of fun to while away a few idle moments over the Bank Holiday. How many of these groups can you name? They are all connected to Birmingham in one way or another and would have at some time done the Birmingham club & pub scene venues.

Just see how many you can name, I won't give any answers until the Bank holiday is over.

Attachments

• Quiz.jpg
    Quiz.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 193
Had a good look Phil but neither Pete nor myself recognize anyone. Must have led sheltered youths?.

11 is the Spencer Davis group - a young Stevie Winwood on the left.

Is 5 the Band of Joy with a young Robert Plant (at the back) and John Bonham (on the right), both later to form Led Zeppelin?

Guilbert I don't believe I didn't spot the Spencer Davis group as we watched them enough. Well done. Jean.

#4 Rockin Berries.
#11 Spencer Davis Group - the Winwoods, Steve & Muff, lived in our road.
#5 Moody Blues .... Go nowwwwwww.

Viv.

Extreme left of No.1. looks like Keith Powell but I cant remember what his group looked like, so probably wrong.
The one at the front of No.5 looks like Clint Warwick of the Moodies.

I don't feel so old now, because with the exception of Spencer Davis Group and The Band Of Joy I didn't recognise any of them! Glad to say that most of them are, quote, 'a bit before my time...!'

G

Don't think so Big Gee, but not 100% sure. Noddy Holder played with them for a while. Viv.

I can tell you that so far you have found 4 groups out of the 11. What you have to remember is a lot of these individuals would have played in many midland groups over the years. What we are after is the name of the group in the photo, when I give a list of the answers next Wednesday, I will give a link where the line up of most of the groups can be checked out.

Phil

Don't think so Big Gee, but not 100% sure. Noddy Holder played with them for a while. Viv.

Hi Viv,

I'm partially correct - I just found out by means of Wikipedia that "Dance The Night Away" was a hit in the 1980's by an American group also called The Mavericks. Good song. Someone played it at an open-mic night recently and introduced it as a Mavericks number. Cream also recorded a number of the same title, but totally different.

G

Hi Big Gee. The english band was Steve Brett and the Mavericks. (But it's a very wild off-the-wall guess at the photo!) Like Phil says, the members of these bands changed so often. There must be several band members pictured who at one tine or another were members of the other bands pictured. All suggests to me how more experimental music was in the 60s, unlike the manufactured bands of today. Viv.

I didn't really get into music until the early 1960's boom was over. In those days there were so many people playing guitar, drums, etc., that there were bands springing up all over the place. Not just pop either, but folk, blues and jazz as well. These days competent musicians are a rarer breed - my stepson's a drummer and he plays regularly in three different bands, plus some session work as and when it comes up.

Big Gee

Going to have a guess with #7. Mike Sheriden and the Nightriders or the Idle Race. A guess simply on the basis of the style of clothes as I don't remember them. Viv.

pete number 6 mick gibbs we were at school together birchfield road sorry to tell you mick died about 2months ago iwas at his funeral and so was ken martin along with a lot of the midland group members johnharris bye fornow

Purely out of coincidence, someone mentioned to me recently that Mike Sheridan is still performing. I've never seen him, but apparently a very good musician with a very good band. I play a bit myself, and it annoys me when people are dismissive of the Sixties bands - some were indeed crap, but many of them were top-quality musicians who performed without the aid of any electronic assistance, backing tracks, or whatever else most modern performers reckon is essential.

Big Gee

Here is my best effort.
1/Keith Powell & the Valets.
2/The Modernaires.
4/Steve Brett & the Mavericks.
5/Johnny Neal & the Starliners.
6/Gerry Lavene & the Avengers.
7/Denny Laine & the Diplomats.
8/Danny King & the Mayfair Set.
11/Spencer Davis group.

mossq

A valiant effort but of those you attempted you got 3 wrong, I'll leave it to yourself to sort out which three. Don't forget everybody it is the name of the group in the photo and not the name of the group that an individual might have been part of before or after this moment of time. By the way 6 out of the 11 have now been named.

1/Keith Powell & the Valets
2/The Modernaires
3/The Ugly's
4/Rocking Berries
5/Johnny Neal & the Starliners
6/Gerry Lavene & the Avengers
7/ ???????
8/The Congressmen
9/??????
10/Band of joy
11/Spencer Davis group

PHIL,are we getting any closer?