• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who did you have on your bedroom wall... ?

Amongst other things I had a poster for a Who concert - all pop-art in the fashion of Roy Lichtenstein, which I bought when the Who played at Birmingham University in 1964-ish. When I got married I forgot that poster (together with a load of other stuff) and when I remembered it my mother told me she threw it away!!! I've seen that poster sell on ebay for - well, £££'s! Annoying, or what?

Big Gee

Sadly, just wallpaper on my box room wall. I collected the `Picture Goer
magazine for quite a while. Never did find out what happened to them.

Jennyanne mine was a box room with two outside walls no heating and was freezing in the winter. When my brother had it he had photographs on it of Gina Lolla Bigidair and various footballers. I spent as little time in it as possible. Not like the teenagers of today televisions playstations and central heating. Jean.

Hi Jean: Thank goodness you can relate to the `Box Room`bedroom.
I had a small wardrobe, a single they called it and later on a kidney shaped dressing table with a couple of shallow drawers and a glass top...still there since the house has never been sold. It was absolutely freezing in the winter as it faced north...views out across Witton Lakes and off to Barr Beacon.
When I left home to travel to Canada in l963 and came back two years later for a holiday, my youngest brother Bill had moved in. He had an electric fire up on the wall and an electric blanket. Such luxuries. In the heavy snowfall winter of 1947 glasses of water would freeze beside my bed.

I can't recollect ever being allowed to stick anything up on my bedroom wall. Probably because as a small child, I used to lie in bed, peel back a little bit of wallpaper and then gradually pick a hole in the plaster! It's a wonder I had any finger nails left! No doubt a trick cyclist would find some sort of a name for this syndrome...... :)

Maurice

Oh my !!! I did exactly the same thing !! I had a hole in the plaster about 2 inches across right down to the brick !!!! I got a good 'sherakin' for that i can tell you !! Back to what was on the wall though - : Clint Walker who played 'Cheyanne' and Ty Hardin who was 'Bronco' ( I was a big fan of the many Western series that were shown on TV in the 50s/60s)

richard bradford(man in a suitcase) and tom jones...been going to see him since i was 17....i will be there again in oct at the nec...and ive got a little silver framed pic of him on me bedside table... cant give him up im afraid...lol

lyn

Lyn if you're interested you can get all the 'Man in a Suitcase' episodes on dvd now - I used to love that series as a kid - I thought McGill was the coolest guy ever - and I have to say that they're as watchable now as they ever were

Silhouette53:

What's that joke about one in every four people are nutters? Look around and if your three friends are all normal, it must be you!

Oh my !!! I did exactly the same thing !! I had a hole in the plaster about 2 inches across right down to the brick !!!! I got a good 'sherakin' for that i can tell you !!

Will you be my friend - then I'll feel safe! :)

Maurice

I think I am the odd one out or I am a lot older than you lot, but I had loads of pictures of Tommy Steele, I loved his song 'Butterfingers'

hi all
never had pop stars but had a large picture of haley mills, mainly motor bikes, had a great picture of a triumph bonneville, bsa gold star, bsa road rocket, but dad got mad when I painted some of the wood work black, (looks like a bloody undertakers in that boys room) so he redecorated and would'nt let me rehang my pictures, went in the army at 15 so did'nt have any more.
regards
paul stacey

ditone Just for you..

My sister and I also liked Tommy and somewhere on that wall behind me on the first post on the thread, are at least two pic's of him. I like his' Little White Bull' and 'Singing The Blues'. My sister who still lives in the UK goes to his shows and films when ever they are on.

paul stacey Your wall sounds like my brother's, did you take a copy of the pic' of Hayley from the first post on the thread..?

That's splendiferous Pom, who would have thought he would write like that aye. Thanks. I go to his shows too, and get really upset when all other rock stars of that era are mentioned but very rarely Tommy.

Lyn, I also thought Richard Bradford (Man in a suitcase) was gorgeous, but saw an episode recently and wondered what I saw in him. Funny how we change in our opinions isn't it?

ME?..................I must be even older than you all are!!!

In a photo frame by my bed was a picture of Alan Ladd.........be still my beating heart................

leeds unitede,,,gary glitter,i know,,,and alvin stardust,,,all from shoot,,and me sisters lookin,,,,,arhhhhhh

hi pom
I can't remember where I got the haley mills photo think it might have been my sister maralyn. but us boys were motor bike and football mad I supported two teams "the Baggies", and "the Wolves".
regards
paul stacey

I had a pic of Marlon Brando pinned to the inside of my wardrobe door. I couldn't understand what he was mumbling about in his films, but that didn't matter, I just loved looking at him!!! Anthea.

Hi Pom
we just had distempered walls in our bedrroom,
One night I chased a bug up the wall with a candle,and he went into a hole,turned round and he blew the candle out.

My earliest memory of something on my wall is a picture of a garden with the following poem:

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in the garden,
Than anywhere else on earth.

I still remember it after all these years and, as I love my garden, it seems so true.

The was also another one that I can't quite remember, but it started off with:

A wonderful thing is a mother

Again, how true. I just wish I could remember the rest of it.

Opps, sorry. I just noticed it said 'who', not 'what'.

I can't remember having pictures of pop stars or people on my bedroom wall.

Phill Lynott and Thin Lizzy and on the back of my door a beautiful bay horse looking over a stable door -it was one of those posters that filled the whole door so that it looked "real".
Polly

hi jo
i had also had marianne faithful and the picture of the stones
which was bought for me ; by and old freind [ female ]
whom was the daughter of a clothes shop
down winson green oppersite the smiths arms
the shop was called jasmins,i admired her .and she admired
me ,we was great freinds for years,
her name was jasmin ,as well her father was strict
i still have that early photograph of the stones
it was there first photo shoot when they first started to record
along with there first ever record called [ come on ]