• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where was this...?????

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
can anyone tell me where the old ship works was please...

lyn

Attachments

• old ship works.jpg
    old ship works.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Lyn.
I know that Thos. Walker & Son, Ltd - that makes instruments to measure how far a ship/boat has travelled, and, knowing the time taken, its speed - used to be at 58, Oxford Street. They are still trading as Thomas Walker & Son from 37-41 Bissell Street, Birmingham, B5 7HR. Could there be some connection with your Old Ship Works and this ships' instrument company which used to be off Digbeth? David

Last edited:
hi david...that i dont know...all i know is that my pic was taken somewhere in brum...

lyn

Actually Lyn, I wonder if it would be worth buying. It's supposed to be an authentic engraving 6"x3" from the 1880's £9.95. Let's find out where it was first.

Terry

All I can find on google is factories that made brass parts and lamps for ships
James Collins brassworks - corner of Cumberland St and Oozells St
Genton and kessler - Bingley works - King Edward Place
Will keep looking
Polly

Just throwing in an idea - but is this possibly an inn called the Old Ship which has been converted for manufacturing use.

The ship weathervane seems indicative of that.

And the archway could be the entrance to the yard of a coaching inn.

Can anyone check for an inn called the Old Ship in Birmingham in e.g. the late Georgian/early Victorian era?

Sorry if this is a complete red herring!!

T

I have seen this before it is the entrance to Worcester wharf I believe of Broad street I will have to try and find it in my files I hope

There was an Old Ship pub at 27 Fox St , but it changed to The ship around 1880 and was still a pub till just before WW1
Mike

Lyn

I think I am close to an answer here.

There is a copy of the book that this comes from - Our Own Country - on Google Books.

It only has "snippet view" and at first I couldn't get to the detail of this print.

But I finally tricked it into giving me what I wanted.

It reads: . . . the engraving of the Old Ship Works (Messrs Barrs' umbrella ribs and furniture), which will shortly be pulled down, may be taken as a type of the older more simple style (of manufactory).

In the 1860's William Barrs & Son, umbrella manufacturers were at 7, Edmund Street. In the 1870's the address given is New Edmund Street.

I know lots of those old Georgian buildings close to the City Centre were cleared away around 1880 - but don't know if that would have included Edmund Street.

Still needs a bit more work by someone but Edmund Street is a STRONG possibility.

T

All I can find on google is factories that made brass parts and lamps for ships
James Collins brassworks - corner of Cumberland St and Oozells St
Genton and kessler - Bingley works - King Edward Place
Will keep looking
Polly

Bingley Works, King Edward Place - did this become the Bingley Hall?

Edmund St is one of those streets that have been split , had parts called different names and then joined together again. In the 1870s up to 1878 the listing in New Edmund St (earlier it was Edmund St) was:
7 Barrs Wm. & Son, mnfrs. of umbrella ribs, stretchers &c. (Ship works).
In 1879 no 7 was not listed . then in 1880 new Edmund and Edmund Streeet were amalgamated, and a large number of the businesses (though not all) immediately surrounding no 7 disappeared. As no decent map is available for the perood, it is not possible to completely nail down exactly where the building was, except to say it was on the north side of Edmund St between NewHall St and Congeve St, and I would guess, though I can’t be absolutely certain, that it was between Newhall St and what later became Margaret St
mike

thanks for your help everyone...it was sent to me by shirley who does a lot of family research..

will look forward to your pic if you can find it john...

cheers

lyn

It was fazely street along side the water ways bonded ware housing
that was there in the 1800s to early 1900.s
and some of there building are still there
astonian ;;;

Edmund St is one of those streets that have been split , had parts called different names and then joined together again. In the 1870s up to 1878:
the listing in New Edmund St (earlier it was Edmund St) was: 7 Barrs Wm. & Son, mnfrs. of umbrella ribs, stretchers &c. (Ship works).
In 1879 no 7 was not listed . then in 1880 new Edmund and Edmund Streeet were amalgamated, and a large number of the businesses (though not all) immediately surrounding no 7 disappeared. As no decent map is available for the perood, it is not possible to completely nail down exactly where the building was, except to say it was on the north side of Edmund St between NewHall St and Congeve St, and I would guess, though I can’t be absolutely certain, that it was between Newhall St and what later became Margaret St

mike

Lyn

Based on this - and comments above - my vote is for Edmund Street.

T

I know this thread was being discussed a while ago, but I was just researching the image you're discussing and William Barrs and son moved to 47 Princip Street in about 1879 and is listed from then to at least 1882 at that address. Considering the image is 1880, if the image is Barrs 'Ship Works' then it is possibly Princip Street. Of course, because it says the 'Old Ship Works' it could be the original one on Edmund Street that had perhaps been knocked down by 1880. I hope that's helpful, but I'm suspecting not so much: just another option!!

Back