• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this Street ?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has probably been on the forum before, but I post it as a reminder that you should not always trust what people claim. This was posted on a Facebook page which seems to mainly concern vehicles in the last half of the 20th century. It was claimed to be " shared from a site quoting an old Birmingham book". and to be of Smalbrook Queensway 1960!!!

birchfield road.jpg

This has probably been on the forum before, but I post it as a reminder that you should not always trust what people claim. This was posted on a Facebook page which seems to mainly concern vehicles in the last half of the 20th century. It was claimed to be " shared from a site quoting an old Birmingham book". and to be of Smalbrook Queensway 1960!!!

View attachment 158112
Mike, excelen point. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more misrepresentation!

View attachment 158112
oh dear that is a massive clanger mike....good reminder to all of us

lyn

Someone corrected the original post on Facebook to be Birchfield road. That may also be wrong. My point was that there was no way it was smallbrook queensway

Last edited:
Yes I noted that Mike, just didn't fit Birchfield road either as far as my memory goes.

Ps. The second bus seems to be a number 12 and the first 5 something, where did they run?

Last edited:
I have moved the posts about the street in post #1 to this separate thread. Hope someone can identify it. Viv.

I too wondered if it’s a diversion Eric as there seems to be what could be demolition or clearance on the left-hand side. Or maybe it was road widening ? Viv.

The photo is of Birchfield Road just before you get to 6 ways, the date as to around late 50's early 60's, its the beginning of the building of the underpass, the bus are number 33, 52, .

Attachments

• 29872451_10214756921343931_8184200420685279840_o.jpg
    29872451_10214756921343931_8184200420685279840_o.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 30226447_10214775327644077_2312161743624732672_n.jpg
    30226447_10214775327644077_2312161743624732672_n.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 45
Yes I noted that Mike, just didn't fit Birchfield road either as far as my memory goes.

Ps. The second bus seems to be a number 12 and the first 5 something, where did they run?
If my memory is right Eric, I’m sure the No 12 and No 5 bus routes went out along from Five Ways towards Harborne and Hagley Road. Jen

If my memory is right Eric, I’m sure the No 12 and No 5 bus routes went out along from Five Ways towards Harborne and Hagley Road. Jen
Mind you I have just had a closer look and see that it is No 52 bus route which is out towards Perry Barr and the one bus has Witton on the front. Jen

Remember that Birchfield road scene and more. Lots of diversions at that time when demolition of buildings and Six Ways underpass was being constructed. I lived in Victoria road and at one time the pile driver noise went on all day for about a month. That particular piece of road is still one way today.
Birchfield road now.jpg

Last edited:
The following old post with it's 3 images might be of interest reference this thread, mainly the 2nd and 3rd images.
A cropped view of the pic dated 1954 in post#438 which I think is on Birchfield Rd. There appears to be a pub like building on the corner of Johnstone Rd and it is marked as a hotel on the map in post#442. I have highlighted two features on the building.
Pic1
index.php

A view of Birchfield Rd dated 1962, and a building in the pic appears to have the same two features. A problem with this pic is that the building now has an upper floor compared to the 1954 pic.

Pic2
index.php

Another view dated 1966 shows what looks like the same building and one feature looks the same. Unfortunately a bus blocks nearly all of the front of the building.

Pic3
index.php

If the building on the corner was a pub I cannot find a name for it or any other information.

Last edited:
Another view of The Star in the early 70s. The building on the opposite corner of Feltham Road used to be The Bull's Head Inn. Now the building is used as a Mosque.The Star - Six Ways Underpass.jpg

Last edited:
This picture is of Birchfield Road approaching Six Ways Aston. Check out the three dormers in front of the trees and the three ornate windows above the Jamaican food shop. Thanks to Google Earth.22A9F2C2-B13B-450B-9451-5178DFFE357C.jpg

Back