• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this? No.111

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
Where is this?

Attachments

• City Hurst St - Hill St subway.JPG
    City Hurst St - Hill St subway.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the underpass that used to be at the junction of Hurst Street and what is now Smallbrook Queensway?

Wow!!! It's the only one in 111 that I've known!!!
We used to live in a pub in Lower Essex Street and we'd come that way home from town sometimes. There used to be a cheap shoe shop under there as well if I remember right!

Only just seen this last picture, which brought quite a lump in my throat because I designed that subway - not the concrete carcase which was of course part of the Inner Ring Road structure done by the City Engineer's Department. The City Architect's Department had been formed in the early 1950s and we got the commission to design the finishes, showcases and public loos (the first post-war ones, which needed a lot of R&D into new systems and cisterns). Work started on the road works I think in late 1958, and I left in March 1959, before the subway was finished, let alone opened. I have been through it a few ytimes, and was not particularly sorry when it wass filled in and replaced by a surface pedestrian crossing in the late 1980s I believe. It was one of the many ugly blots left by that wretched ring road.
And plenty of the buildings I put up in those days have since been demolished - often a better fate than festering away unwanted and disliked.
Peter

Last edited:
Got it, too late though! However, the reason I remember it is because I met Little Richard (and his minders) under that subway in the early 60s! He was appearing at the Hippodrome and having a walkabout in the afternoon prior to his show. He was the first star I'd ever met so it's a great memory.

HI , YEP,
I Have Only Just Clocked This Thread And Straight Away I Rememered It
Just Like Yesterday , I Scrolled Down To See If AnyBODY hAD gOT iiT but I Was To Late
Because Our Linda Had Got It But I Certainly Agree With Peter They Most Certainly Forgot To RevampIt It Was Filthy,And Detereaited And It Felt Spooky To Walk Through We Used To Walk Through There To Get To The Old Scrumpy House Up Holloway Head And The Old Bowling Green Pub Which Was Oppersite The Entry For ThePenny A Pint Of Good Cider , Or Half A Penny For The Rough Stuff Which When Swollowed Would Cut You Like Glass ,Hardley Any body Walked Under And Through That Under Ground For The Fear Of Being Attacked And Nobody Certainly Used Them Toilets , Even Barry Parker , . For Those Whom May Have Heard Of Him
I Used To Walk Through There To Wrenthan Street When I Worked At The Builders Yard Every Morning , I Never Forgot That Jaunt Going Through There
Have A Nice Day Every -body Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Mortorman Mike I too was too late as my computer locked up and had to get out of it. Must need a bit of fuel to keep it warm. I have only once got one of these correct and it was just guesswork. Will try again though. Jean.

Mortorman Mike I too was too late as my computer locked up and had to get out of it. Must need a bit of fuel to keep it warm. I have only once got one of these correct and it was just guesswork. Will try again though. Jean.

That's the spirit Jeen, don't gie up on it.
Mike

Back