• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this ? 177

Thanks Mike,so The Stork Hotel was on the corner of Corporation St and Lower Priory,is that right?
Moss.

the building in the distace would be on the moor street I recon

No its definitely Dale End, I think this photo shows the same building on the right of the photo towards the middle.

Phil

CityDaleEnd1958.jpg

Phil-- They must have built the Midland Educational book shop on the site of the Stork Hotel . Thats a great photo of Dale End can,t see the Scout Shop though can you recall the name of the pub front left hand side. Dek

The Midland Educational shop was halfway down Corporation St. on the right going towards New Street.
They then moved to a basement store opposite Lewiss's, just before Bull St.

John i do recall the old M.E. Shop now you have reminded me but i also recollect one opposite Lewis,s but i,m thinking more than a basement i used to have to go upstairs for my electrical books.Dek

Dek,Many years ago on the stretch of Dale End shown on Phil's picture,there were 3 pubs within a very short area. No110-Red Cow. No113 Royal Exchange. No114 Star.
Moss.

Dek

The name of that pub was The Star Vaults. I stood outside that pub very many nights as a youngster whilst waiting for the 56 bus home. It was a pretty lively place as I remember.

The scout shop was a bit further down the road, possibly the one next to the book shop or even the one with the blind down.

Phil

CityStarVaultsDaleEnd.jpg

Many thanks to Phil and Moss most of it,s still in my head i just need a shove in the right direction. Dek

Dek ,
What I meant by a basement store was it was on the slope going down towards the Bull St. underpass the upstairs was at street level.

Mike,where would the buildings in far distance be?
Moss.

Mark Horton has got an exact replica of the quiz question photo on this thread on his www.photobydjnorton.com site (Old Square section) with the Stork and the Kings Hall still in. Am I right in thinking that Photo No.2 on the Birmingham Motor Buses section on www.mikesbuspages.com/municipalbuses.htm is the very Dale End bit we are on about? I'd be interested to learn of the other locations on Mike's Birmingham portfolio.

Richie.

Was that the time the buses then rejoined Bull St via the Minories, between the two halves of Lewis's?

That's right Lloyd. BCT had some misgivings about the rubber block surface in the Minories and put grit down on wet days dispite the short distance involved. I often wondered whether the Minories belonged to the city or to Lewis's.

Back