• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

lindev

master brummie
just wondering if anyone remembers charlie blower from wheeler street, he had a motor bike shop, a little fat man with a round happy face, i remember my dad telling me he was a dare devil rider and once broke his back or neck in a stunt he did, but still continued saying the show goes on, does anyone know if this story is true or not.

hi lindey. i will ask mom and dad if they remember charlie blower and the story behind him. they are coming up to 80 but have recalled many a tale from the old days. would anyone have any photos of wheeler st. i remember going shopping there with mom when i was a young girl. wales

would any of you collectors out there have any pictures of wheeler street taken in the 40s 50s and 60s. i was talking to mom the other day and she was telling me about a little shop near the top of wheeler street that she used to do odd jobs for when she was about 13. would be great to find a pic of it. thanks in advance. wales.

Wales,

The only snap I have of shops in Wheeler St is this one, I have some of a few the pubs located in that street if you are interested.

Phil
]
LozellsWheelerSt.jpg

Michael,

I was never a resident of Lozells, but those shops have always looked familiar to me. Perhaps you can tell me, I had an Aunt who lived in Lennox St. Would I have passed those shops If I were walking to Lennox St from Nechells.

Phil

hi phil. great photo. i will show mom and see if it rings any bells. i would love to see any pub photos you have. the only one i have is of the acorn in wheeler street. the reason why the shops look familiar to you is probably because lennox st was next to wheeler street although coming from nechells you would reach lennox 1st. many thanks wales. ps i am still searching for the elusive vine inn pub villa street. maybe one day.

Wales,

If you go to your Globe, Blews St thread you will see I have posted some pub photo's for you.

Phil

Last edited:
Nechells is in the other direction but it depends how you got there. If you walked you you would come to Lennox Street before Wheeler Street. It is more likeley that you came by bus; probably the number 8 bus. You may well have walked down Wheeler Street then along Farm Street to Lennox Street but it would depend where the stop was in Gerrard Street, which I cant remember. The number 8 went along Gerrard Street which crosses through Lennox Street and then Wheeler Street. At Nechells it went along Rocky Lane and along Nechells Park Road towards Alumn Rock and Bordesley Green. If you came through town then you may have caught the number 69 but then you would have got off in Wheeler Street near St Matthias's wich is before you get to those shops, and then walked along Farm Street to Lennox Street

Michael,

It seems that I must be thinking of a similar pair of shops elswhere, as my journey was always by Shank's Pony. The parts I remember are Henry St, Rupert St, Rocky Lane, Park Lane and Gerrard St.

My Aunts house was near the bottom of Lennox St, were those shops near the bottom of Wheeler St, if so perhaps I used to go there for my Aunt.

Phil

As far as I can remember, there wer no shops down the bottom of Lennox Street except the butchers on the corner where I worked ( see
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95897&highlight=lennox#post95897
)
The shop next to the butchers, in Farm Street was Sid Lawley's green grocer.
Opposite there I think there was a grocer's shop ( at least there is when I dream about working in the butchers) and opposite Lawley's was Evan's the paper shop. Going the other way, on the same side as Evan's, towards Summer Lane, just past Great Russell Street was Mrs Jaggers' sweet shop. An article about Mrs Jagger was in the Brummagem magazine some months ago
ps It was quite a shlap on foot to your Aunts

michael,

I used to do that "shlap" quite regularly just couldn't afford the bus fare, from about 11 years of age up until an age when I got interested in girls. (so it was probably for about six months). No it was until I was about 14 and she moved to Cotteridge. I think I only visited her there once, too far to walk.

I remember a shop at the bottom half of Lennox st. I am sure the name of the people runnuing it was McCarthy

Do you remember the butcher in wheeler st. who won the pools. All the locals kids were invited to a big party. It was in the local newspaper. We lived in Lennox st. at the time and missed out for some reason.

Mike says his friend Eddie Madely from Kensington Street worked for that butcher before he won the pools. The butcher was Charlie Lee. I think he finally blew all his money after buying a dream home in Perry Barr

hi folks...here are a couple of brillient pic of wheeler st oringinally posted by ray griffiths....

lyn

Great Picture Lyn, thanks, i will be showing my mom them later, she grew up in Wheeler Street :) she has many happy memories from there.

ok claire..if you go to the gerrard st thread there are some new pics on looking towards wheeler st....

catch you later...

lyn

I remember the Co-op on wheeler St with the overhead money system, and the butcher on the corner of wheeler st and Bridge st west the man was called Hubert cant remember the shop name

hi mossg..dont know the exact location but i have a pic of the acorn and the albion...

lyn

Both were on the west side of the street, The Albion at 91 (in red) and the Acorn at 185 (in blue)
Mike

part_wheeler_st__c_1913.jpg

thanks mike...i thought they were on that side but i didnt want to put me foot in it....lol

in the 60s my dad was sitting in the acorn checking his racing results i think he said...anyway one of the local papers were doing a piece on the acorn as it was said it was built on a morgue and the cellars were still there...it was in either the evening mail or the merc... as dad cant remember the exact year ive gone through 10 years of mercs at the central library and do you think i can find that pic....that took me long enough so if its in the mail lord knows how long that will take as its a daily paper not weekly like the merc..be great if i could find it though

lyn

Back