• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheatley Jane c1835

mikeflan

master brummie
I wonder if anyone has access to any parish records for the birth / baptism etc. of Jane Wheatley born c1835 to Richard and Sarah Wheatley of Gt Colmore Street.....as the knowledgable of you will know...the difficulty of trying to find the maiden name of the mother prior to the 1837 records starting, but I have been trying to trace the maiden name of Sarah Wheatley born c1789 in Branston Staffs........and Staffs records cannot seem to help, so many thanks to anyone that can help in any way.

Re: Jane Wheatley c1835

Is lady connected to Richard Wheatley who started the Fishing Tackle company? I am researching the tackle company, but have no reference to a Jane. Most of the information that I have discovered can be found at www.richardwheatleymuseum.org

Yes...Jane is Richard's sister....and my gt gt gran was Richard's elder sister....so you can see that Richard was my gt gt uncle.........I have lots of information on Richard and what you are interested in is covered most comprehensively by an American company that has all of the Richard Wheatley history of him starting......he was originally a leather pocket book maker....and it was one of his sons that instigated their move into the fly fishing boxes, they also were virtually the first to strike up a deal with Zip.....and added those to their leather tobacco pouches...which saw the company make tremendous progress.

You may already know....but I'll point out again that the statue in Broad Street of Murdoch,Watt and Boulton was commissioned and presented to the city by Richard Wheatley...and inscription on the plinth makes interesting confirmation of this, one of his sons was a quite well known sculptor and his works decorate the V&A in London.

Very many thanks for this information. I am always interested in anything to do with Richard Wheatley. I will add Jane to my information on the family. I would like to know the fore name of your gr gr aunt so this can be added as well.

I also would love to know the name of the American Company that has the early history of the Company. I based mine on a document written by Frank Wheatley (the last of that name to be involved in the Company) plus the research that I have done myself. Do you have a date for the first factory set up by Richard Wheatley? Tradition has it as 1860 but this may not be accurate. I have a document that suggests 1856 in Burbury Road, Birmingham, RW was supposed to go into partnership with a man called Willmott around 1860. This business was in Aston Road according to an 1862 trade directory

My Richard Wheatley Museum website has most of the information that I know, I am honoured that the company now refers enquiries to me as I know more about the history of it than they do.

Thank you once again

What you have from Frank Wheatley is what the American site displays, the original Richard Wheatley came from the Twycross area and as yet our family haven't found 'exactly' where nor could we find hs marriage to Sarah who came from Branston that now comes under Burton on Trent...these people mentioned are of course the father and mother of the Richard Wheatley born Twycross c1826.......my gt gt gran was also Sarah (1823 Twycross) and she had a twin sister Mary who died aged 20....the family had moved to Birmingham quite obviously for work....as Richard senior was a Farmer though was described as Milk Dealer on the census, Richard bn 1826) was a pocket book maker and as you say....had a partner named Wilmot...they parted company very early as I think Richard had greater ideas for the future,next daughter was Hannah bn c1830...and Jane was born 1836 in Birmingham...

The first factory was indeed in Burbury Street.....it moved around a bit in the area and was in Constitution Hill in the late 1950's and you may know that as there were no male descendants left after Frank...the company was sold off to a company that operates from Walsall in that name now.

Richard had quite a large family and his son Richard...went into the business later......Oliver was the sculptor and married an American lady and they lived in London.

I am still searching for details on Jane Wheatley as mentioned a few years ago, would anyone know where the parish records for St Thomas would be kept, it would be useful to know for when I come back on a visit to Birmingham again...thanks for any help given.

I think the records for St Thomas are at the Birmingham Library. This is closed at the moment but opens in a new building in September.
I think to look at the records you need a CARN card (County Archives Research network - a type of library card that allows you to view records,archives at many locations in England and Wales). If you haven't already got one you can probably apply for this at a main Library/records office where you live. As you would be travelling quite a distance I think you may be best to contact the library when it opens to ask for advice - you may need to book an appointment to view the records. I think the Library archives will be VERY busy for the first few months it is open.

https://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/article/servicesforopening

For the marriage of Richard Wheatley and Sarah (maiden name unknown) have you ruled out the 1821 marriage -16 July - Richard Wheatley to Sarah Carey or Kerry in West Hallam Derby?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that, I do believe I've come across that marriage before....but found that she didn't come from Branston in Staffs, at the time she was born there were only about 300 people in Branston and one would have assumed that she 'might' have been found, as you may well guess it's Sarah's maiden name the family has been searching for now for quite a while, so good of you to reply and advise, I know there is a new library about to open in the city, the times I spent in the old one when I lived there...... I wish I was able to spend the same amount again...many thanks indeed

Just a thought but if Sarah was born c1789 the first census she would appear on with place of birth recorded is the 1851 - she would have been about 62 by then - have you considered that she may have put her place of birth as the first place she remembers living as a child and not where she was actually born? I have found this happening in my own family research and it may explain why no-one can find her birth in Branston.
Could she have been born Branston, Lincolnshire and the census enumerators put down Staffs in error?
Perhaps she was baptised with a different first name? I had a woman who called herself Ann on all the censuses but she was baptised Harriet.
This must be so frustrating for you, I do hope someone can help you find her.

Oh yes....a number of configurations have been taken into consideration by the whole families before,I too have come across a few 'blips' as you describe, the thought was as Jane was the only child born in the Birmingham area that maybe a parish record have another indication though possibly doubtful, it's certainly been a puzzle now for a very long time, thanks for all your help.

Back