• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wenman street

I shall double check the photo, thanks for the heads up!
My nan said it was called the Glory Hole too...

That's quite right, and there is some talk that the "Andy Carrier" lady who sold paper bags on the steps of the old Market Hall lived on the Terrace as well.

My nan Barbara was in Wenmam St when it was bombed. I believe she said that many families were sadly killed and the following morning the back yard area was a great big pond...ie the hole from the bomb was filled with water...

Hi,
I can see this thread has been unused for some 18 months or so but for a short while in the early 60's I was one of a number of Wilmot Breeden apprentices who helped out at Wenman St boys club. There was one occasion when a football match had been arranged at Daisy Farm near the Maypole. There were supposed to be a number of cars to take the team along to the game but I was the only one to turn up so the whole team were "shoe horned" into a Wolseley NF14, an old four door saloon with running boards. Even in those pre safety belt days there must have been a rule about a dozen people in car made for five.
Hi Jim I was also an apprentice at Wilmot Breeden and also helped out at Wenman Street Boys Club I wonder if you remember me Bob Plant.

Hi Jim I was also an apprentice at Wilmot Breeden and also helped out at Wenman Street Boys Club I wonder if you remember me Bob Plant.
Tried to send a personal message but it wont work.
Climbing in the Pyrenees in 1962? Still exchange the occasional email with Fred Crowe!

Last edited:
Climbing in the Pyrenees in 1962? Still exchange the occasional email with Fred Crowe!
Hi Jim nice to hear from you remember me to Fred Crowe.
Hi Jim nice to hear from you remember me to Fred Crowe. I am in contact with Tom Clutterbuck in Australia and he was asking about Fred recently. You can contact me at boblplant@gmail.com

These two photos show either end of Wenman Street, the first one shows the junction of Wenman Street and Edward Road, at the end of the streets time by the look of it and I would date it mid 70's. The second one shows the junction of Balsall Heath Road and looks to be sometime at the end of the 1800's.So the beginning and end of the street on both counts.

View attachment 124618

View attachment 124619
Does anyone know of any photos that would cover no 9 Islington Crescent, Wenman Street?
Lynn.

Jacko,
This is inside Wenman St Gospel Hall at the Winter Sunday School Party January 1964.
Do you or does anyone recognise themselves?
View attachment 75449
Adults at back Mrs Rose Essery (My Mum,) Mr Tamplin, Mr Edward Essery (My Dad.)
View attachment 75450View attachment 75451

View attachment 75452View attachment 75453
Left to right Mr Dan and Mrs Joyce Thomas, Mr and Mrs Tamplin, Girl1, Girl2, Wendy Thomas.
Brian

Yes! I’m Wendy (Thomas) I have such happy memories of going to Sunday School at Wenman St Gospel Hall and can also remember going to your mum and dad’s house for tea with my parents, Dan and Joyce & my brother, Nigel.
It’s so good to see these photos.

Imr3103

I have only just seen this thread, this photo is one of Mikejees and I'm sure mike won't mind me posting it. Islington Terrace was between Hampden Street and Vincent Parade the photo like most of Mike's images was taken just prior to demolition.Balsall Heath Islington Terrace Wenman St ..jpgislington terrace.JPG

Imr3103

I have only just seen this thread, this photo is one of Mikejees and I'm sure mike won't mind me posting it. Islington Terrace was between Hampden Street and Vincent Parade the photo like most of Mike's images was taken just prior to demolition.View attachment 130785View attachment 130786

Phil,

I can't thank you enough for this, it's where my beloved Mom lived with my wonderful Gran and family before she was married. At last I can put an image to all the memories and stories I heard from them. Thank you so much Phil
Lynn

lynn isnt it great when a photo turns up that means so much to us....well done mike and phil:)

lyn

lynn isnt it great when a photo turns up that means so much to us....well done mike and phil:)

lyn
Lyn,
I have to say it made me shed a little tear! This is such a fantastic site, you deserve a medal for the time, commitment and dedication you show to it. Many thanks and a belated Happy New Year! Lynn xx

snap lynn ...ive shed a few tears when ive found photos that mean a lot to me...you can just imagine our rellies walking those streets and roads cant you...i can..i seem to drift into a world of my own lol...happy new year to you too...have a good one

lyn

Yes! I’m Wendy (Thomas) I have such happy memories of going to Sunday School at Wenman St Gospel Hall and can also remember going to your mum and dad’s house for tea with my parents, Dan and Joyce & my brother, Nigel.
It’s so good to see these photos.
I’m second from the right at the back my name is Linda coleing

HI - I am Arnold Mason and I went to the Pyrenees with the apprentices in Stan Whithead's Landrover. Some of the names that I remember on that trip were John Mole, Larry Wheelan, Fred Crowe. Derek Herbert was a member of the club (Catana club ? ) but I don't think he was on that trip.

My dad Ernie Mason was the apprentice supervisor at Camden st /Amington rd /Kings rd. apprentice workshops.

I am now retired and live in Redruth Cornwall.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Back