• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watt Street/Chapel Street General Stores Handsworth

Linds

I think this may be a long shot but could anyone help me find some photos of my grandparents General Stores that used to be in Watt Street
The address was in fact 50 Watt Street Handsworth Birmingham.
My elderly mother often talks of fond memories of the shop and the street and I have taken her back to Watt Street a few times. I have searched the internet for photos but without success. She didn’t have a single photo and I would love to be able to find one for her. Thank you.

hi...just wondered why you have also added chapel st in the thread title...if i have got the correct watt st all the houses on the one side no longer exists and is now mainly green space ...this side was the evens numbers..if you could give us your grandmothers name and what years you are talking about it may help

lyn

Isn't the shop referred to on the corner of Watt Street and Chapel Street?

ahh yes jan just noticed chapel st on street view...i am sure we had a enquiry from another member some time ago about watt st but i think it was in the research section of the forum...

lyn

Handsworth Historical Society has received a couple of recent enquiries relating to the above. Can anyone help with a photo of the grocer's shop in Watt Street, Handsworth, in the first half of the 20th century or tell me when Raleigh Cycles in Camp Lane opened please? The latter was TI Raleigh Cycles when it closed about 1982.

Thank you, yes it was the same enquirer. I've just had a quick look via the search box but it only came up with my request. In an ideal world we'd have photos of every street!

Thank you, yes it was the same enquirer. I've just had a quick look via the search box but it only came up with my request. In an ideal world we'd have photos of every street!

oh we certainly would...dont give up on the raleigh enquiry as we do have members who maybe able to help you

lyn

I think this may be a long shot but could anyone help me find some photos of my grandparents General Stores that used to be in Watt Street
The address was in fact 50 Watt Street Handsworth Birmingham.
My elderly mother often talks of fond memories of the shop and the street and I have taken her back to Watt Street a few times. I have searched the internet for photos but without success. She didn’t have a single photo and I would love to be able to find one for her. Thank you.
Hello, have you had any luck finding a photo of Watt street? My wife’s grandparents lived at 46 Watt Street around 1910 and her father was born there.
I think this may be a long shot but could anyone help me find some photos of my grandparents General Stores that used to be in Watt Street The address was in fact 50 Watt Street Handsworth Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an aerial view, I have marked what I think is #50, if somebody has a 1950s map showing house numbers they will be able to confirm this.

Attachments

• chapel-st-watt-st-aerial-1926.jpg
    chapel-st-watt-st-aerial-1926.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 3
Back