• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

waterman

jane k

master brummie
I have an ancestor who is described as a `waterman`s wife` on the 1871 census - she lived in Lower Mitton (Stourport). What did a waterman do? I can`t find him on the census (I know he was still alive), so maybe he was working away somewhere.

Many thanks

Hello Janek,
Watermen were the men who transported goods and people along and across the waterways.
If you go onto Parishregister.com there is a lot about watermen and even hints about how to trace them.
All the best in your search John Knight .

Thanks very much John. Do you know if they tried to include people like that on the Census - it must have been hard to catch up with people who were moving around all the time?

Just seen the correspondence about watermen. Certainly in London it often meant the same as lightermen, as they were called in the capital - people working on the boats moving goods to and from bigger sea-going ships. But in built-up towns, a waterman was usually someone who drove a horse-drawn tanker wagon, delivering drinking (or washing) water to the many houses which did not have a piped water supply or even a well nearby. They were very common in the mid-19th century. I would guess that Stourport had a good supply of well water, and that there a waterman would more probably be a canal worker. But I still wouldn't rule it out completely, as the boat crews had to have a supply of drinking water with them as well.
Peter

It's 8 years ago but hopefully, Hello John Knight. No relation I am sure but my g/g/g'father was a John Knight. He was a 'waterman' and lived in Gloucester. A later record gives his occupation as 'ship captain' but whether this was on the canals or the sea I have not been able to ascertain. I shall look on Parishregister.com as you suggested in 2008.
Neville Knight

I think you will find a waterman was a person involved with the navigation on the Rivers Severn, Wye, Bristol Avon and Warwickshire Avon. The craft on the Severn were generally known as Trow's and their masters were called Owners. The navigation of the Severn was enabled through periods of high water called Springs and the Trow owners worked between Shrewsbury and the river ports of Bridgnorth, Bewdley, Worcester, Gloucester, Newham and Lydney. Bristol was reached via the Avon and other coastal destinations in South Wales and Somerset were also reached. Trows were sailing vessels, but required to be bow hauled on occasion, such as passing up stream where halliers were employed. The completion of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal enabled vessels to bypass the difficult sandbanks encountered on the tidal part south of Gloucester

I think you will find a waterman was a person involved with the navigation on the Rivers Severn, Wye, Bristol Avon and Warwickshire Avon. The craft on the Severn were generally known as Trow's and their masters were called Owners. The navigation of the Severn was enabled through periods of high water called Springs and the Trow owners worked between Shrewsbury and the river ports of Bridgnorth, Bewdley, Worcester, Gloucester, Newham and Lydney. Bristol was reached via the Avon and other coastal destinations in South Wales and Somerset were also reached. Trows were sailing vessels, but required to be bow hauled on occasion, such as passing up stream where halliers were employed. The completion of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal enabled vessels to bypass the difficult sandbanks encountered on the tidal part south of Gloucester
Thanks for that Heartland. I'm still searching for g/g/g'father John. Not too ardently I'll admit but hopefully one day the key will appear. Merry Christmas.

Back