• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warley Woods

hi derek yes i had already seen those photos on pedros link...again i say so sad the house was demolished...do you know why ?

will have a look at your lightswood park link now

lyn
Lyn, in 1957 Warley Abbey (and the Woods) together with Lightwoods House and Park belonged to BCC (despite being outside the city bounds.) It was thought that Warley Abbey was too expensive to restore. The Gothic Revival was no longer fashionable then I suspect. Derek

Lyn, in 1957 Warley Abbey (and the Woods) together with Lightwoods House and Park belonged to BCC (despite being outside the city bounds.) It was thought that Warley Abbey was too expensive to restore. The Gothic Revival was no longer fashionable then I suspect. Derek

thanks derek...wonder if the powers that be lived to regret that decision...reminds me a bit of when it was decided that either perry hall or aston hall was to be saved...as we know the magnificent perry hall lost out...again very sad

lyn

I think it may have been used by the Golf Club at some time. I have mentioned before that when the excavation was done the foundations were exposed and I stood in the middle and tried to imagine what it had been like! It's all covered up again now as there wasn't much to see or preserve.
rosie.

Back