• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warley Bowl

Kevinharris

Brummie babby
Does anyone from the Quinton/Bearwood/Smethwick area remember the Warley Bowl. It's was situated on the Hagley Road junction with the Wolverhampton Road, and was previously the Warley Odeon. I am sure the late Duke of Edinburgh opened it in the early 1960's arriving by helicopter that landed on a green that existed before the current junction was built. If my memory is correct, there were 32 lanes all on one level, and at that time was the largest number of lanes on one level in this country. In a Monday night it was Teen and Twenties Night when there was a DJ playing the latest pop records of the time. It used to be a very busy night. Great memories and such a shame the front of the art deco building was not saved. A monstrous office building occupies the site now.

Attachments

• 17290791863836183880803143604758.jpg
    17290791863836183880803143604758.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Does anyone from the Quinton/Bearwood/Smethwick area remember the Warley Bowl. It's was situated on the Hagley Road junction with the Wolverhampton Road, and was previously the Warley Odeon. I am sure the late Duke of Edinburgh opened it in the early 1960's arriving by helicopter that landed on a green that existed before the current junction was built. If my memory is correct, there were 32 lanes all on one level, and at that time was the largest number of lanes on one level in this country. In a Monday night it was Teen and Twenties Night when there was a DJ playing the latest pop records of the time. It used to be a very busy night. Great memories and such a shame the front of the art deco building was not saved. A monstrous office building occupies the site now

Does anyone from the Quinton/Bearwood/Smethwick area remember the Warley Bowl. It's was situated on the Hagley Road junction with the Wolverhampton Road, and was previously the Warley Odeon. I am sure the late Duke of Edinburgh opened it in the early 1960's arriving by helicopter that landed on a green that existed before the current junction was built. If my memory is correct, there were 32 lanes all on one level, and at that time was the largest number of lanes on one level in this country. In a Monday night it was Teen and Twenties Night when there was a DJ playing the latest pop records of the time. It used to be a very busy night. Great memories and such a shame the front of the art deco building was not saved. A monstrous office building occupies the site now.
l remember going there friday nights after the pubs shut, l think it was open all night for food and drink as well as 10 pin.

Back