• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walsall Road Great Barr shopping parade

i would say here viv...same 2 peaked shapes above 2 of the shops and to the left the same black and white timber

Thanks all for identifying the shopping parade. I've added the details to the thread title. Viv.

That parade of shops probably had all the shops you really needed Dave. Built pre-supermarket shopping, probably built in the 1930s to support the massive 1930s housing development in this part of Birmingham.

I think the tower on the Beacon Cinema was it's saving grace. Otherwise it would have been a very plain building. Or maybe it's the drawing makes it look that way. Hopefully the interior was inviting ! Viv.

Bob, I don't know the exact date, Lloyd will know. The bus in the photo is not a Midland Red, looks rather like a West Bromwich corporation one.

I was born in and spent my childhood in Great Barr. The bus does belong to West Bromwich Corporation, on the number 6 route from Hamstead to West Brom town centre.
From the angle I would guess the photo was taken from a second floor window of the old Scott Arms pub demolished circa 1966.
i spent many a Saturday morning in the Beacon Cinema watching old war and cowboy films, all for the bargain price of 6d.
The cinema building also contained a number of shops on two levels, I can recall a bank, hairdresser and chip shop.
It seems odd to feature the Standard Ensign car in the foreground, other than there was a Standard/Triumph dealer “Heslops” just beyond the semi-detached houses on the right hand side of the photo.

Back