• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wallis Birmingham Connection

Lyn Williams

Brummie babby
I am interested in confirming that there is such an address or location at 58 Dollman St, Nechells, Birmingham, and what is currently there, or what it used to be. Researching a GGGrandfather who lived at this address possibly in 1850s before emigrating to NZ. Can anyone in Birmingham tell me anything about this location or provide photos, especially any original buildings. what is the area like now?

hello Lyn,
There is loads on here with pics of Dollman Street, I,m fairly new here ,but I'm sure before long one of the
experts will be along to assist you.
all the best.

Hi Lyn, Go to search, second from the right at the top of this page, type in Dolman Street click go and you will get lots of relevant threads, good browsing. Len.

Lynn Could these be your Wallis reallies in 1841? I think these families may be related due to Occupation and name pattens.

Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Aston (Duddeston)
Address: -(sorry no address shown)

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
WALLIS William M 35 Timber Merchant Warwickshire
WALLIS Rebeca F 30 Warwickshire
WALLIS Alfred M 9 Warwickshire
WALLIS Richard M 4 Warwickshire
WALLIS Sidney M 2 Warwickshire
WALLIS Rebecca F 5m Warwickshire
WALLIS Stephen M 70 Independent Warwickshire
PERRY Mary F 20 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)
DUTTON Rhoda F 20 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)
-----------------------------------------
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Martin)
Address: Edgbaston St

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
WALLIS Richard M 40 Carpenter Outside Census County (1841)
WALLIS Mary A. F 35 Outside Census County (1841)
WALLIS Phoebe F 10 Outside Census County (1841)
WALLIS Richard M 15 Outside Census County (1841)
TOWNSEND John M 25 Wood Turner Warwickshire

Chris/Pom

Hi Pomgolian
I have not been in touch for a while but been checking out the wallis 1841 details you gave me and I finally think you are right! There are some connections I can't quite prove and may call on you again soon to see whether you are able to clarify for me along these lines. regards Lyn (from wintery NZ)

Lyn
I think it would have been a little after the 1850s that he lived in dollman st. The street only appears in the directories sometime between 1868 and 1872. In 1868 Duddeston Mill road , which it runs into shows other side roads but not Dollman st, and the road the other end of the street isn’t listed either. No 58 at that time was on the western side of the road, though the road was renumbered before 1900 and numbering was completely different after that
Mike

Mike that is very interesting thank you. My Richard Wallis departed England in 1858 (his arrival into NZ on the ship "Maori") and the only piece of information on the Dollman St connection is a family bible which states he lived at 58 Dollman St, Notts (I have not personally sighted this bible). and am still trying to verify the authenticity of this fact. Your info is helpful as I may now be able to dispute the fact... You certainly need to be a detective in this game!

Not sure if anyone can help me further but details that I have are:
Richard's christening record 1831 Bromsgrove, Worcestershire (spelt Wallace), parents Mary Prime and Richard Wallace (Wallis) both from Cambridge. Mary (b. 1806) and Richard (b. 1801) married 1831 in Barrington Cambridge. I think Richard snr was married to Elizabeth (Betsey) last name unknown, before he married Mary - and had three children (William, Phoebe, Henry) then betsey must have died and Richard remarried to Mary who then had my Richard.
Census for 1841 the family live in Edgbaston St Birmingham, Warwickshire (altho Richard's age is incorrect states 15 instead of 11?) and this is where William, Phoebe and Henry appear, and in 1851 census my Richard was a boarder (occ stoker) at 3 Palmer St Warwickshire.
Lost him between 1851 and his emigration in 1858 and have been searching for years in Notts to no avail. Nothing shows up in any Directories, incl searches thru Birmingham ones, although I think I have found his (step)brother William (saw mills/carpenter) and possibly his mother Mary Ann Wallis still in Birmingham (father presumed died early) Can someone tell me - as a stoker, in Birmingham, would that have been in coal mines, colliery etc or what else? He arrived into NZ in 1858 as a Fellmonger - so could he have been a stoker (for the boilers) in a fellmongery in 1850s in Notts and then taken up the trade before he departed? Richard always signed his name Wallis, Notts. which is where his supposed last place of residence (Dollman St) was before NZ.
Not sure if anyone can shed any more light on any of this for me. I would be prepared to undertake some basic research in NZ for anyone as trade.
thanx Lyn (also searching PRIME from Cambridge). many thanx

Back