• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WALKING CANAL TOWPATHS

• Thread starter Thread starter DAVE BRICK
  • Start date Start date
IT JUST OCCURED TO ME THAT THE BEST WAY TO OFF AN UNDESIRABLE ON A TOW PATH IS RAM BUTT SAID ITEM INTO THE CANAL. SO SPARE THE UMBRELLA. IF YOU HAVE PEPPER SPRAY THAT'LL GAG 'EM LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE FOR A VIGOROUS THRUST AND THE WATER WILL EASE THE SEARING PAIN THOUGH ODDLY ENOUGH INITIALLY IRRITATE. IF THE MISCREANT APPEARS BELIGERANT THEN THE PROBLEM WILL BE EXTRICATING FROM THE WATER IN SODDEN CLOTHES. A QUICK RASP LIKE ACTION TO THE HEAD WILL RESULT IN A FURTHER DOWSING. SURPRISE BEING THE KEY TAKING CARE YOUR FOOT IS NOT GRABBED. ADOLESCENT HOOLIGAN THUG LOUT SLOBS CAN BE ASTONISHINGLY RESILIENT TO IMMERSION AND SO GENEROUS APPLICATION OF THE PEPPER SPRAY IS A BONUS.

THE TIN BATH TUB ADVENTURE OF SOME 3 MILES ALONG THE REA IS ASTOUNDING. YOU MUST HAVE GOT UP TO A FAIR OLD CLIP. I HOPE YOU HAD A BROOM TO SCREECH TO A HALT TO TAKE IN THE SITES. AMAZING ALTOGETHER. YOU MIGHT HAVE A MIND TO TRY THAT AGAIN WITH A CAMCORDER?

allegedly, my gt Grandad Thomas (Curly) Knight who was a boatman, was also a bareknuckle fighter. Apparently after increasing the sales revenue at the pub in Watery Lane on a satdy night, there would be a fight. The winner took the purse with the loser having to swim to the next canal bridge with one arm tied behind his back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

:-[

A Song and a Pint
Weston's Music Hall (one of the earliest) sometime in the 1880s. Note the long tables where patrons ate and drank during performances.

WE ARE UNLIKELY TO SEE THE LIKES OF THOSE FOLKS AGAIN!
;)

As a keen amateur painter I have spent many happy hours sketching and painting along the Bham canals particularly in the vicinity of Gas St, so relaxing and so rewarding, mostly around the 1980's, getting.e a bit too old now. Eric

hi hmld
we roamed the cut every week and we never encountered any nasty
people of any discription, and we started our route from ledsam st
both ways straight through up to west bromwich and also through to gas
street and beyond we took air guns to smash botles in the water
and shoot the big rats in the bank by northcote st winson grren
go to smethwick uo by the feeder cannal and just past there where the
stables was kept the biggrey shire horse that used to pull the barges
and one came out of the yard and ran us along the cannal
our little hearts was in our mouths
by the way hmld ,i,m am intrigued what little pub at spring hill
was you refering to .?
you had a choice from clissold st to the ba the wellington or the colledge
or even down to the turf not forgetting those in between
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;;

I've walked the cuts for many years and still do but don't feel so safe as I use to. Too many unscrupulous characters these days I'm sad to say.
Love your photos Pedrocut.

Hi yes i have to agree with frothy ,on the statement he as stated.
And pedro when i was a lad many years ago my friends and myself from ledsam street
And monument bridge on monument road spent all our days from one end to another
And there was never dodgy characters like today
Down here in worc its very rife most days of the week by these people
Young ladfies being attacked andmen folk being attacked and robbed of there monies and of course bikes
Which is an other regular accurence most days of the week
I will say pedro i like the pictures and it brings back some great memories
As we walked that way for years andso i have decided i am gonna down load them
Thanks again pedro best wishes Astonian,,,,

Back