• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W.S. Manufacturing Co. Ltd

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am disposing of my later fathers tools; he was a carpenter and boat builder. Theseare a couple of tools that you may find interesting, made by W.S. ManufacturingCo. Ltd.

Apparentlythey were British Plane makers merely based at The Quadrant Works, SheepcoteStreet, Birmingham. In 1952, they were taken over by Steel Nut & JosephHampton Ltd (aka Woden tools), but that is all I can find out.

Can any of the forum members shed any more light on W.S. Tools?
WS-Plane-1.jpg

Attachments

• WS-Plane-2.jpg
    WS-Plane-2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WS-Plane-3.jpg
    WS-Plane-3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WS-Plane-4.jpg
    WS-Plane-4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • WS-Rebbet-Plane-1.jpg
    WS-Rebbet-Plane-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WS-Rebbet-Plane-2.jpg
    WS-Rebbet-Plane-2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My grand father was a cabinet maker and I still have tools used by him 50 years ago, most are stamped with his name. My father always said buy quality and look after tools they will last forever.

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
hi morton
its sad to you are gona dispose of your fathers tools really espeacialy if they are of good qualitity
but if you have no use then why not pass them on to some-one whom will really appreciate them
but also to say good old manufacted made qualitity tools of yesterday are worth there weight in gold
they do not make tools of high quality like of yesterday especialy as to day we are inporting forign made tools
that do not last five minutes best wishes Astonian. alan ;

[QUOTE]its sad to you are gona dispose of your fathers tools [/QUOTE]

Hi Alan

Yes it is sad to dispose of things like this, however hopefullywhoever is interested enough to buy, will probably put them to good use, justlike my dad did, and give them a new lease of life.

It would be such a shame to put them away, to fine they hadgone all rusty a few years later.

PS if you still fancy a walk along the newly restored Droitwich canal, PM or email me

Last edited:
Now there is an interesting thought, about objects, and how they can tell stories:

My dad died last August, Mom died the beginning of May thisyear, so I made her cremation casket.

Just realised after reading the last post, that I actually usedsome my dads tools to make her casket, they were married for 60 years.

Trawling through this site will get you to a mention of WS being purchased by Woden Tools but not sure it adds much information.

My dad was a cabinet-maker in his early years, and I've kept some of his old tools, but no way would I ever part with them. Not just for sentimental reasons, but the quality, especially of the saws, is far superior to what's available today. I'm not really into DIY, but I do use them on occasion around the house.

Big Gee

Back