• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vyse Street urinals

Lyn

Does the number 8 bus run down Vyse Street now? That's something I didn't know. I knew that a lot of cast iron objects were made in Scotland.

Dear old No. 8, I think it has seen the most changes in the city, of any route, over the ninety years of its life. It has been re-routed quite a few times and probably is full of surprises still. I believe, be cannot be sure, that it is single deck operated now. A pity as there is nothing better than a top deck view.
Phil and some of you BHF folk resident in the city it might be time for an afternoon out on the No.8 - like many of you did in your younger days. :grinning:

Dear old No. 8, I think it has seen the most changes in the city, of any route, over the ninety years of its life. It has been re-routed quite a few times and probably is full of surprises still. I believe, be cannot be sure, that it is single deck operated now. A pity as there is nothing better than a top deck view.
Phil and some of you BHF folk resident in the city it might be time for an afternoon out on the No.8 - like many of you did in your younger days. :grinning:
It would be interesting to compare its route now with that in David Harvey & others book. Perhaps our superb and intrepid photographers could do a tour with their cameras at the ready and print the results in a new inner circle post. By the way is the toilet still working, or is it like most in the South West, closed down and only still standing because it has been listed? One in Westward Ho! is now a café...hold all the gags folks.

Bob

Lyn

Does the number 8 bus run down Vyse Street now? That's something I didn't know. I knew that a lot of cast iron objects were made in Scotland.

yes phil it now runs up vyse st....bit different to the route i knew

lyn

I think Macfarlanes were the major producer of this sort of cast iron street furniture. wen to a talk on it some years ago, but cannot seem to find my notes I took

I remember those type of urinals in the 1960s. There was one near the Kingston picture house by the Blues ground.
It was the Sunday morning they were selling the FA cup tickets for the Manchester United game, probably 1968.
Got in the queue somewhere around St Andrews church in the early hours of the morning. Eventually the queue started moving very slowly winding itself around the ground. The urinals were a big relief! as you couldn't leave the queue for fear of losing your place. The queue literally went in the one entrance and out the other with a permanent pall of steam rising up whilst you waded through the over flowing urine. What a beautiful moment this conjures up.
The queue was prodomently male by the way, the odd females probably took the opportunity to jump the queue this point.
Don't know how they got on facing the same predicament!
Still waiting to see the Blues lift the FA cup!!

It would be interesting to compare its route now with that in David Harvey & others book. Perhaps our superb and intrepid photographers could do a tour with their cameras at the ready and print the results in a new inner circle post. By the way is the toilet still working, or is it like most in the South West, closed down and only still standing because it has been listed? One in Westward Ho! is now a café...hold all the gags folks.

Bob

hi bob its not longer in use...dave i cant get your link to work..got sound but no motion

lyn

lyn

hi bob its not longer in use...dave i cant get your link to work..got sound but no motion

lyn

lyn
Apparently, there is only the opening picture...if you browse the comments you'll see that others are asking the same questions...I love his accent.
Dave A

I remember there were a few like this,and yes the Blues ground rings a bell...we parked our car before matches near one.
Not on here often,but nice to see Astoness posting

Back