• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Volunteer Transcribers needed please for Staffordshire Parish Registers

lesleybh

Hello

I'm the coordinator for Staffordshire for the FreeREG project - the search engine that offers free search for those of you into genealogy and looking for your families. You may have heard or used us - or FreeCEN or FreeBMD.

I have taken over as the Staffordshire coordinator after the county had been somewhat neglected for many years. I'm now building up stocks of Parish records for the county and these need transcribing and then uploading into FreeREG for researchers. I have a new team of transcribers - who are brilliant! But am always in need of more!

You need to be used to your way round a computer, be a methodical person and one with a bit of common sense! It doesnt matter how much or how little time you can donate or how long you take over your work. The vast majority of records I send to you will be printed already - so no difficult early Elizabethan script to worry over! Full training is given at your own pace and you can be anywhere in the world to do this.

If you'd like to know more, please email me and I'll be delighted to go into the process further with you

Many thanks

Lesley Hampton
Staffordshire FreeREG Coordinator

freereg.sts.coord@btinternet.com

I am by necessity automatically precluded from volunteering, having none of the attributes required! :(

But I DO wish you every success with your most valuable research! Regards, JohnO

There are lots of very talented, clever people on this site; I'm sure you will recruit several to your cause.

Lesley i used to do a bit for free BMD ..if its along the same lines then i would give it a go

Hi, Does the Staffordshire site cover info you want transcribed for places like West Bromwich, Smethwick and Handsworth? If so, I might be able to help you. I have found that information I require for these areas is very difficult to find on both the Staffordshire site and the West Midlands. Sorry to sound so picky, but I don't have much free time, but would make the effort for these areas.

Hi, Does the Staffordshire site cover info you want transcribed for places like West Bromwich, Smethwick and Handsworth? If so, I might be able to help you. I have found that information I require for these areas is very difficult to find on both the Staffordshire site and the West Midlands. Sorry to sound so picky, but I don't have much free time, but would make the effort for these areas.

Hi Lynne

Yes, those are in our areas - West Brom is being transcribed at the moment as is Smethwick, although we don't have access as yet to the complete registers for both. Handsworth is also down for Staffs - but you're quite right, we too find this a difficult register to get hold of to transcribe. Copyright makes obtaining registers difficult too - what I'd ideally like would be someone who has the original out of print books to donate them! That'd be great! What I'll do Lynne is when I get Handsworth I'll get back to you. and no, you're not being picky; i always try to give people records where they have a personal interest. thanks for expressing an interest

Lesley

Hi Lynne

Yes, those are in our areas - West Brom is being transcribed at the moment as is Smethwick, although we don't have access as yet to the complete registers for both. Handsworth is also down for Staffs - but you're quite right, we too find this a difficult register to get hold of to transcribe. Copyright makes obtaining registers difficult too - what I'd ideally like would be someone who has the original out of print books to donate them! That'd be great! What I'll do Lynne is when I get Handsworth I'll get back to you. and no, you're not being picky; i always try to give people records where they have a personal interest. thanks for expressing an interest

Lesley
Hi Lesley, I am really pleased that these areas are at last being tackled. Don't the local Family History Societies hold copies of these registers? I was also told B'ham Library did also. Would it be worth getting some sort of editorial in the Birmingham Mail about this? Hopefully it might result in someone coming forward to offer the registers they hold. Just an idea. Would be delighted to help you transcribe any of these three areas. I was a Secretary for nearly 40 years. Lynne

Back