• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

In the 1962 directory Thomas Smith is listed as a musical instrument dealer at 17 Easy Row. but in 1971 he is Thomas Smith (Violins) Ltd, violin restorers at 4 King Alfred's Place. This is shown in red on the c1950 map below, and would be on the site of the present Symphony Hall

View attachment 166846
Mike when i lived just off Broad St, I used to see that shop on easy Row quite frequent , at one time on that front door there was a back off a double bass/cello I suppose it was a form of letting people know where they were
 
I clearly remember Thomas Smith's shop in King Alfred's Place and Sydney Evans in Regent Place. I did a 3-year evening course in violin-making with David Evans, Sydney's son. Is Bill Piper still at the Jinney Ring Centre? He did some repairs for me some years ago (before I did my course) and I was very impressed with his work; it was he who directed me to David Evans. He must be getting on a bit now (no offence - we're none of us as young as we were!)
It’s a long shot but doesn anyone know where david Evans is? I’m actually searching on behalf of Bill Piper who would like to get in touch.
 
Just a thought. The little film I referred to ('Village of Violins') which featured David's apprenticeship in Mittenwald was released in 1960. David would have been around 20 at the time, meaning he was born c.1940. It would also mean he was around 40 when I met him in the shop in Birmingham, which seems correct from my recollections (seemingly way older than me, but younger than my father). So he will be 86 now, perfectly possible, but be prepared for disappointment. It might be worth getting in touch with Jan Kudanowski though I'm sorry I don't have his email - but the violin making school in Cambridge might, as he taught there. I think Jan took the use of the Sydney Evans name in the 1990s, probably when David wanted to retire. Good luck and please let me know if you do find David, as I owe him a lot; he got me started in bow making and was always patient and kind.
 
Back
Top