• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square & Colmore Row

Graye

proper brummie kid
When I first left school in 1966 I worked for Canadian Pacific who had offices at the end of Colmore Row. They were tall buildings with deep basements and using the toilets involved going out into a wide corridor from the second underground level and into toilets across from the back door of Canadian Pacific. I seem to remember this involved several very large old keys to lock and unlock doors as you went.

I was told this corridor was part of a maze of underground corridors and I could walk all the way to Lewis's without coming up above ground. I suspect now they were having me on but I never did venture along them to find out. How extensive WAS this underground corridor system or was it all a myth?

We have talked about these underground corridors before on the Lewis's thread. My Aunty-in-Law worked for Lewis's and she always said that there was underground corridors that went from the basement of Lewis's to the General Hospital. As you talk about the top of Colmore Row, we are going in the right direction. She said they were used during the war to move the injured.

I know there were underground tunnels used by the Post Office to shift post to the stations. Don't know if these are the same as those in Graye's thread, but there certainly was a lot more under Birmingham pedestrians' feet than was obvious at street level. I wonder if any of the underground networks still exist given the amount of building work that has gone on over the years. Viv.

Interesting stuff! Canadian Pacific was more or less opposite the Birmingham Council offices, just as Colmore Row turned the corner to become New Street. So the Post Office was just across the street too.

Here is a Dennis Norton photo of Colmore Row and Victoria Square. I don't anything about the tunnels in that area. This photo shows part of the Canadian Pacific shop opposite the Council House. I used to wait for the No. 5 there years and years ago and loved the set up of a cabin on one of the liners which was in the window. I am not sure if it was the White Star line at that time. I went to Canada in 1963 on the Canadian Pacific ship the "Empress of Britain".
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/ColmoreRowNrCouncilHouse.html

That's a great photo, thanks for that. I remember all the corporation buses used to stop outside. And all those sparrows (or starlings?) in the trees at dusk. What a racket they made!

Canadian Pacific were a huge company running liners, freighters, a transcontinental railroad across Canada and international airliners. The Birmingham office was effectively closed in 1968 although a small freight only office was opened in one of the modern office blocks across the other side of the city. In 1966 Canadian Pacific were only running two transatlantic liners, the Empress of Canada and the Empress of England. They did transatlantic runs all through the summer months (often taking emigrants on the £10 voucher scheme) and did cruises in the winter. One of my jobs was to decorate that window but my "props" were pretty basic, some posters, model ships and planes, also brochures and leaflets.

I wonder if any of those tunnels are left now? Presumably if there were any along New Street they will still be there?

Was this a part of town where travel companies had their offices? I notice there's a Thomas Cooks next to the Canadian Pacific office. My ancestors regularly travelled back and forth across the Atlantic, so doubtless this street could have been very familiar to them. Long distance travel at that time must have been very exciting. Viv.

img044.jpg
Victoria Square in 1953, decorated in celebration of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11

Funnily enough Stitcher, this afternoon I was looking at pictures of Queen Victoria's 1887 visit to Birmingham and came across this one of an illuminated Victoria Square. This view was taken from the Town Hall colannade and shows Christ Church - seemingly with an awning around the base ( for viewing perhaps?). Your Coronation picture seems to follow a long trend of public displays of decoration in Birmingham. Brummies certainly put a lot of effort into them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328900192.012613.jpg

And these illuminations around the square are from Edward VII coronation in 1902. Afraid not too good a photo.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328900297.438675.jpg

Viv

img358.jpg
I know that many people still respect and admire all the good work carried out by the British Legion but I think this is a 'never to be repeated scene'.
It is October 1934 and the Legion members are being inspected by Edward, Prince of Wales outside the Council House.

img488.jpg
This photo was taken during the early years of the war but I wonder what sort of celebration or catasrophe it would need to get such a response from todays society.

img586.jpg
The building on the left half of this photo was known as Galloway's Corner and was demolished in 1970. It was built in the early 1900s and replaced Christ Church which was demolished in 1899. The photo is from 1932.

I remember Canadian Pacific offices and travel agents, if it is the one I am thinking about they had ayellow diesel train and a map showing the railway journey from the atlantic to the pacific by train, would have been in the early 60's.
paul

My visits to the city were limited to the Bull Ring, Lewis's, Kings Hall Market and the like with mom up until school leaving age. After that I did not go into town very often so a lot of this holds no memories for me really.

Paul here is a photo of the Canadian Pacific shop at Victoria Square. When I first went to work in town in the late l950's I sometimes waited for the No.5 bus outside this shop and for a while they had a model display in the window of a typical cabin on board one of the ships. It always fascinated me.

Here is a Dennis Norton photo of Colmore Row and Victoria Square. I don't anything about the tunnels in that area. This photo shows part of the Canadian Pacific shop opposite the Council House. I used to wait for the No. 5 there years and years ago and loved the set up of a cabin on one of the liners which was in the window. I am not sure if it was the White Star line at that time. I went to Canada in 1963 on the Canadian Pacific ship the "Empress of Britain".
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/ColmoreRowNrCouncilHouse.html

ljf.jpeg
Victoria Square and a 'Drumhead Service' Is/was taking place. 1916.

mm.jpeg

This is Victoria Square in February 1952, the whole square and the length of Colmore Row are both packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder. The occasion is the reading of the proclamation of Elizabeth 11 as the new Queen, the proclamation was read by the Lord Mayor R. C. Yates.
I can not imagine any occasion, however important that would/could cause so much interest today.

Last edited by a moderator:
a38.jpg
Air Marshal Robert Saundby with the Lord Mayor J.J. Grogan outside Birmingham Council House, taking the salute from a contingent from RAF. Gaydon during the Battle of Britain commemoration. Sept. 15. 1957.

View attachment 74659
The building on the left half of this photo was known as Galloway's Corner and was demolished in 1970. It was built in the early 1900s and replaced Christ Church which was demolished in 1899. The photo is from 1932.
I've always known this as Galloway's corner but superb picture in "Old Pictures of Brum" on Facebook that shows it previously as Walk Over Shoe Company which it seems still operates in Massachusetts. Anyone know more?

The 1932 Kellys lists Galloways at no 79. The shoe company is listed at 29 Corporation st only in the 1932,33 and 36 editions

Hi,

I believe that Robert Saundby was a WW1 fighter pilot. I have
a book by him somewhere. A long career by the looks of it

Kind regards
Dave

The times I went to the Lyon's Corner house with my Nan, and the times I walked through that particular area as alad and youth, great memories, thanks for posting!!

Yes, I see that the photo is labelled c1910, not 1932 on facebook. In the 1921 Kellys the shoe company has the Corporation st address and one in Victoria Square

Back