• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vicarage Road.

In 1921 and 1932 Mrs Clara morris is listed in Kellys at 29 Victoria road
mike

Joshua and Mary Anne Garner were my gt gt grandparents,
Violet Garner was my Grandmother, her parent were William and Violet Garner, She married Joseph Blackburn around 1926 Joseph lived at 21 Moorsom Street in 1911, and brother George Blackburn The other connection I have is Joseph and Mary Ann Morris(s)
What I am trying to find out is where Joseph and George Blackburn were after 1911 as it appears thier mother Ada died when they were young. there fathers name was Thomas W Blackburn.

Thanks Lynda

Probalby different ones but in 1921 Kellys:
MorrisMaryAnn (Miss),glass&china dlr.65 Cape hlll.Smth'wck​
Morris Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 48 Lister street

Hi Lynda,
I was born in Victoria Road in 1932 at 403 and lived there until we moved round the
corner to Vicarage Road in 1939. Sorry I cannot help but the names you mention are unfamiliar to me Lynda.

Agnes Blackburn is living at 1 Stratford Avenue with Joseph William in 1930
In 1935 until 1939 they were both at no. 10 Stratford Avenue
I couldn't trace a George with Joseph before 1920 and those after 1920
I don 't think were the same family (living in Yardley)
Lynda

Thank you all so much for your help in this search. Would love to know how you go about getting this info as I thought we could only really go uo to 1911 with the census, Everyone has been on the right track and given me information to family members that are on my tree, but the most bugging one of all, is what happened to my Grandfather Joseph Blackburn after his mother died in 1912 I know he died around 1942 and George was Killed on the Lancastrian in the second world war, Because of these early deaths I have nothing to go on. My Mum would love to know where her dad may have been before he married her Mum, Will I have to wait for the 1921 Census to find this info.
Everything you have found is amazing. Thankyou all.

On looking at the Birmingham Electoral Rolls for 1920 Thomas is still living at 21 Moorsom Street, and it may be a coincidence, but Joseph and Mary Morris are living at number 23. Joseph and George are too young to be on the electoral role, but presumably they were still living with their father.
Does this help? No sign of Thomas after 1920 though.
Lynda

Hi, I am looking for decendants of Annie Harris. She was the daughter of Fred and Emily Harris and her siblings:Clement, Ellen,John, Maud and Milton.

Are you related to any of them and/or do you know any of their decendants?

Please, would appreciate any tiny bit of info as they are my grandmother, Lilian Harris's family and I desperately need to find relatives of Lilian as we have no idea what happened to Lilian after she devorced my grandfather, Leonard Horace Smith (Birmingham boxer of the '30s

Heres the other thread on Vicarage Road Amanda. Might be something in it of interest. My Harris family lived in Park Street and Vicarage Road. All of them are gone now, but I bet your Nan would remember them.
Lynda

Hi I used to live on Vicarage Road from 1960 till 1971,and remember the old police station and the junior school which i attended,I lived in East Terrace,near Victoria Road,I read on the forum there was a map of some courtyards along there,can anybody tell me how to access them.

Hi Ray, I know its been a while since you asked does anyone remember you....you mention the Burford brothers, well John is my brother in law and I mentioned you to him and yes he remembers you well he asked me to ask you do you remember Sammy Edgar and if so do you or anyone reading this happen to know what happened to him...John is well would love to hear from you and hopes that you are well also....Doreen

David I went to the Senior School that was then Manor Park and I vaguely remember the staff talking about a Miss Becket. May be the same person. Jean.

Hi ray ;
just read your thread on vicarage rd ; do you remember the ansells brewery horse stables where they kept the big dray horses
after they done there days work of deliverying also when you said you moved around the corner on to
victoria rd do you recall a news agents oppersite the police station ;
my parents family used to own it and my mother and father used to run it for her father for him
until her father kept trying to tell my father how to run the shop
so he told him get somebody else to run it and they moved out in the the end the grand father got some-one else in the end
he was forced to sell the shop; also do you recal the bakers shop on the corner ; where they made whopping big
cottage loaves of bread with a big top on
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Back