• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Thomas St.

Ray you have some fantastic photo's keep them coming it brings back many memories of the area. Jean.

Smashing photos Ray. My Mom used to live in Clifton Road, and went to Upper Thomas Street School, so it is good to see what the area was like.

Judy

Ray- That brings back lots of memories, really nice pic, about the best I have seen of U.T.S.
JayelL-I also lived in Clifton Rd and spent my whole school life at Upper Thomas St, I am now 66,would it be about the same time as your mum? I left in 1958.

Hi Nutter,

No, my Mom had left Clifton Road long before you were born!!
She lived in Gothic Terrace (Court 25), Clifton Road, up until 1924 when her family moved out to Billesley. She was in the Juniors at UTS school in 1921 and transferred to the Girls Dept in 1923. (I don't know what age she started at the school, but I got the information from the school log books). I just love to find out any information about the area, as there is nothing much left standing now, and I left it too late before I went to have a look.

Judy

Thanx, I have not been back since early 60s,left are joined Royal Marines,spent 21 years doing that. then ended uo in Kent, but now retired to South Wales. But, just this last year or so the memories keep calling back (I think its an age thing.lol)
I am going on a around the UK memory road trip starting next weekend (thought I had better before I get too old) going accross to East coast ,up to scotland,and down the other side,blackpool,Rhyl etc etc, just for the fun of it. I will definateley find time to visit Brum and in particular Aston,folks keep telling me I will be dissapointed, but! hey ho!!we have to do it dont we.
Nice to hear about you mum, If only we had asked em more questions when we had the chance.
nutter

Great Photo's Ray.
As a lad in Clifton Rd.we always went to Mr.Sanders with our ailments,unlike a Dr.he wouldn't charge for his medical care,He was a big man with a big heart,he could sort most things out.
Thanks for the memory.

Nutter if you are in Birmingham on the 7th July you might like to join us at The Barn Social Club, Brookvale Road, opposite the cemetery, where we are holding a Reunion for ex pupils of Burlington/Upper Thomas Street Schools, from 7 p.m. until late.

Sylvia, thats kind of you, unfortunatly we wont be near Brum then,wish we where,it would be nice to come see you all.
many many thanks, have a great time.
Dave Nutt.

Back