• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Cox Street, Balsall Heath

ChristopherD

New Member
Good evening, I saw some post regarding Upper Cox street. My partner used to live "2 behind 42" Upper Cox street, a tenement house , with outdoor toilets. We were wondering whether anyone had pictures of this or what is there now is this location, or where upper cox street was? It would be fantastic! Thank you.
Christopher
 
Welcome to the Forum.
I used our search facility and came up with this.
 
This is absolutely fantastic, "master brummie" or Janice or both? Really is! Kim is going to be so happy! She left that street when she was 12. Seeing the map, the pictures... thank you so much! I did not know (and still don't, but I will figure it out) how to search previous posts... nor am I sure whom to thank, as I am brand new to the format of these posts.
Anyway, I am ecstatic at the help you gave us. Thank you for taking the time to do something for a complete stranger.
 
Glad to point you in the direction of research by others.
Searching on here is via the magnifying glass top right. If you find a thread always start at post #1 so you don't miss anything. Some older threads may be missing photos from when the site was hacked although many have been replaced.
Or you can always ask.
 
thats great mike..so looking at the map you have posted christophers partner must have lived at no 2 morley place which is at the back of no 42 and i think would have been accessed via the gap between nos 47 and 46

lyn
 
Glad to point you in the direction of research by others.
Searching on here is via the magnifying glass top right. If you find a thread always start at post #1 so you don't miss anything. Some older threads may be missing photos from when the site was hacked although many have been replaced.
Or you can always ask.
Well,.... , let's pretend I did not say I did not know how to search... seems so obvious now. Thank you for your help! :)
 
Good evening, I saw some post regarding Upper Cox street. My partner used to live "2 behind 42" Upper Cox street, a tenement house , with outdoor toilets. We were wondering whether anyone had pictures of this or what is there now is this location, or where upper cox street was? It would be fantastic! Thank you.
Christopher
I was born at number 4 back of 17 (written 4/17) Upper Cox Street. I went to Mary Street School and we moved from there when I was about eleven.
 
Here is a map of Upper cox St in 1953.

View attachment 202011

Some photos I took around 1970:

The first three run together and (from the left ) are nos. 31-25,

View attachment 202013

27-19 Upper Cox st

View attachment 202015

27 to 19 from the other direction

View attachment 202017

On the opposite side of the road:

nos. 11 and 12

View attachment 202019

Finally , the back of St Mary's School

View attachment 202021
That silver railing was in front of the rear gate of Mary Street School and was exactly opposite Tillers sweet Shop and the opening/entrance or as we called it 'entry' to the back house where I was born, 4 back of 17 Upper Cox Street.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top