• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

United Talking Machines Co Ltd Broad Street

Like a lot of things, it seems that the Americans’ efforts to encourage the Brits to become an extra State of the Union were extended to the gramophone. I have not, so far, found an absolute link, but the coincidence of the name, and Columbia machines, seem to suggest that the advert, and premises, are of an offshoot from the American firm. The reference to other branches shown at the bottom of the ad indicates a substantial company rather than a “one-man-band”.

The concept of giving away the gramophone but ensuring that you have to buy discs from the donor is referred to as “razor and blade sales”. I always wondered why Gillette blades had those funny piercings down the centre. It seems unlikely that this method of selling was adopted here as the advertisement would surely have mentioned it.

Last edited:

Like a lot of things, it seems that the Americans’ efforts to encourage the Brits to become an extra State of the Union were extended to the gramophone. I have not, so far, found an absolute link, but the coincidence of the name, and Columbia machines, seem to suggest that the advert, and premises, are of an offshoot from the American firm. The reference to other branches shown at the bottom of the ad indicates a substantial company rather than a “one-man-band”.

The concept of giving away the gramophone but ensuring that you have to buy discs from the donor is referred to as “razor and blade sales”. I always wondered why Gillette blades had those funny piercings down the centre. It seems unlikely that this method of selling was adopted here as the advertisement would surely have mentioned it.
John
Thanks for posting a fascinating article. The 'boom box of the day and if you were not wearing a hat on a wet day,, you could pull the horn over your head. Boom Boom
Bob

I have been digging around to see if I could establish a connection between the American company and this outfit in Birmingham, with little success. The history of the gramophone industry in USA, U.K. and Germany at that time is as incestuous as it is opaque. It also seems to have been more than a touch crooked, with selling methods involving vague contractual details, verbal promises unsupported in writing, and dodgy share dealings. Companies came and went, possibly to the advantage of the proprietors and the detriment of the shareholders.

I did, however, uncover the existence in London in the first decade of the 20th century of a firm called “The American Talking Machine Company”. Perhaps it changed its name to Universal in an attempt to improve sales. It certainly seems that the name “talking machine” was in more general use due to the various legal battles over terms like Phonograph, Graphophone and Gramophone, and who could use them.

During this dig I also stumbled into an outfit called “The Brum Film Company”.

Apparently the piece recorded on film by Horatio Bottomley was accompanied by sound from discs made under the name “Marconi”.

Also: -

Last edited:
Back