• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tysall Research

Tysallfamily

Brummie babby
My mother was Eslie Doreen TYSALL b.1929 Birmingham d.1982 Birmingham.
I have been researching my family history for over 40 years now and have researched my TYSALL family history back to the early 1600's all came from Birmingham areas. They were Steel Toy Makers
One mystery thats puzzled me for years...was my 5 x Gt.Grandfather Joseph TYSALL wife, Frances TYSALL ...well, I assumed they were married, but I have never been able to find their marriage details. I've found all the childrens baptisms' first child was Edwin TYSALL b.1820 Joseph was b.1796 so I would assume Frances was born around the 1796 and married around 1819/20

My mother was Eslie Doreen TYSALL b.1929 Birmingham d.1982 Birmingham.
I have been researching my family history for over 40 years now and have researched my TYSALL family history back to the early 1600's all came from Birmingham areas. They were Steel Toy Makers
One mystery thats puzzled me for years...was my 5 x Gt.Grandfather Joseph TYSALL wife, Frances TYSALL ...well, I assumed they were married, but I have never been able to find their marriage details. I've found all the childrens baptisms' first child was Edwin TYSALL b.1820 Joseph was b.1796 so I would assume Frances was born around the 1796 and married around 1819/20

hi and welcome...looking at the 41.51 and 61 census joseph was born in 1791 not 1796...so far i cant find a marriage for joseph and frances but will keep looking

you have probably got this but i noticed that joseph and frances had a daughter pheobe who died at 11 months and is buried at st martins 1832 and that frances b 1789 died at no 14 key hill in 1870

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn thank you for looking for me, I have Joseph and Frances' death certs and wills and yes 14 Key Hill is mentioned in the will.
On one censuses she has put her name as Fanny a nick name I guess for Frances.
Back in the early addresses for them they lived in Grosvenor Street, Birmingham.

Hi Lyn thank you for looking for me, I have Joseph and Frances' death certs and wills and yes 14 Key Hill is mentioned in the will.
On one censuses she has put her name as Fanny a nick name I guess for Frances.
Back in the early addresses for them they lived in Grosvenor Street, Birmingham.

yes i guessed you would have all that info...i cant see frances down as fanny...she is only on the 41.51 and 61 census and each time down as frances...could be they didnt marry but i will search a bit more also see post 4 by MWS for a poss marriage

lyn

There is a marriage for a Frances Twist to a John Jones 29 Jul 1807 Bham, a baptism for a Frances Twist 8 Aug 1790 Aston and many burials for a John Jones of a similar age between 1807 and 1819 in Bham.

Proving if any of that's relevant might be difficult.

yes i guessed you would have all that info...i cant see frances down as fanny...she is only on the 41.51 and 61 census and each time down as frances...could be they didnt marry but i will search a bit more also see post 4 by MWS for a poss marriage

lyn
Frances died 1870 I have her will, I now do think that the marriage in Harborne is the marriage I've been searching for over 40 years! How a decipher of handwriting can get read differently I recognised Joseph's signature straight away.

Wow!!! Thank you so much, I've looked at the signature of Joseph Tysall and it matches with the one on his will. The dates are right and I guess Harborne was where Frances lived.

excellent ..your mystery is solved...we do have some very good researchers on here who are only to happy to help other especially when they have had a good go themselves..as janice has asked do you know where joseph and frances are buried

lyn

Frances died 1870 I have her will, I now do think that the marriage in Harborne is the marriage I've been searching for over 40 years! How a decipher of handwriting can get read differently I recognised Joseph's signature straight away.

I think it is easy if you know what name you are looking for but the transcribers who are coming cold to it then it can be hard. The name at the top is not written clearly.

(I have a distant relative transcribed on one census as "India" when it should be "Julia". I can see how they made the mistake though).

You are lucky he could write and so there was a signature to match.
Do you know where they are buried?
Yes, Joseph did well for himself becoming a master Toy Maker had his in business and properties they rented out in Hockley.
I found their burials in Witton Cemetery Joseph d.1864 and his wife Francis d. 1870.
I actually went to the plot which surprised me as no headstone and the family were quite wealthy. But was good to pay my respects to them.

I think it is easy if you know what name you are looking for but the transcribers who are coming cold to it then it can be hard. The name at the top is not written clearly.

(I have a distant relative transcribed on one census as "India" when it should be "Julia". I can see how they made the mistake though).
Luckily over the years I have been able to read old documents and old handwriting so can decipher them quite easily, but as you say someone coming in cold can easily make a mistake. I've seen Tysall transcribed as Tysell,Toysall, Tysal,Tysale, Tossell and Tassell ...and the list goes on lol
It did help me as I studied calligraphy at School.

There is a marriage for a Frances Twist to a John Jones 29 Jul 1807 Bham, a baptism for a Frances Twist 8 Aug 1790 Aston and many burials for a John Jones of a similar age between 1807 and 1819 in Bham.

Proving if any of that's relevant might be difficult.
Now that surname Twist I have come across before, so there is a connection as an andora (Ann) TYSALL married a TWIST I had all that information on my tysall website so will have to look it up again with the TYSALL/TWIST/ASTON connection

ok here is map of key hill...the numbers went up in ones...you can see where no 14 is just down from the post office...gem buldings shown on the map is still standing the post office is next to gem buildings and that is still there..here is a google street view of where i think no 14 would have stood which is opposite key hill cemetery...pretty sure where the lady wearing a dark coat is shows where no 14 was..looking at the photo there was plenty of space at the back for josephs business and looking at the map there seems to be an extra building on the back

lyn

image (7).jpgimage (6).jpg

ok here is map of key hill...the numbers went up in ones...you can see where no 14 is just down from the post office...gem buldings shown on the map is still standing the post office is next to gem buildings and that is still there..here is a google street view of where i think no 14 would have stood which is opposite key hill cemetery...pretty sure where the lady wearing a dark coat is shows where no 14 was..looking at the photo there was plenty of space at the back for josephs business and looking at the map there seems to be an extra building on the back

lyn

View attachment 192559View attachment 192560
Thank you very much... I didn't realise how close it was to Key Hill Cemetery, great seeing the old buildings where my ancestors lived and worked

always happy to help...although i love researching family history old photos are more my thing as they give a snap shot of the streets our ancestors one trod...there are more photos of key hill before demo on the below thread if you are interested

lyn

Back