• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

trolley buses

J

jake

has anyone got any photos of the trolly buses that drove round the town

jake

if I remember correctly??
there used to be one started from Carrs lane,
going along the Coventry Road,No 94 I Think

Ahhh... well you see, gentlemen, I'm a lot younger than you two. In fact I could be the youngest and fittest male on these boards (but not on the Trolley bus). ;)

Illusions of grandeur you have certainly gone Orson from your young friend Alley :eek:

Right on John,
I was correct it was a 94 O0
And Oisin? don't be cheeky to your elders ;D ;D :2funny:

These may not be Birmingham trolley buses,but nice to see .
They are at the Sandtoft Trolley Bus Museum by Doncaster.
I think there was a Birmingham bus there awaiting restoration,but I've looked through the pictures I took there ,but cannot find it.

www.sandtoft.org.uk

Colin

As I understand it the trolley bus was stopped from operating in Brum in(1940) the Blitz as the sparks from the wires could be seen from enemy aircraft, does anyone know any  different ?

Can't say I have heard that Cromwell, however, I know a lot of them were off the road due to the wires being knocked down during bombing raids. Someone else might know more.
Here is a fascinating web site about trolley buses in UK anyway. Goes way back in their development https://www.trolleybus.co.uk/history1.htm

This info is taken from 1939 Brum Transport book
July 1913 ten motor omnibus vehicles were placed in service between Selly Oak and Rednal by 1937 on the roads of Brum their were 701 tramcars, 752 motor omnibuses and 66 trolley omnibuses
Trolley omnibuses were housed at Coventry Rd. and Washwood Heath tram depots

cromwell said:
As I understand it the trolley bus was stopped from operating in Brum in(1940) the Blitz as the sparks from the wires could be seen from enemy aircraft, does anyone know any different ?

I think the trolley bus wires had covers fitted to them to stop the flashes being seen during the bombing.

FANTASIC.i have been reading the input great stuff,What happend if the bus drove behond reach of the wires? how did they get the arm back on the wires? pete

There are a couple of trolleybus threads started long ago but pics got lost in 2011. I've picked this thread and here is a pic recently posted in another thread and some information about it below the pic
It's a damp murky day in 1934 and a trolley bus has stopped at the junction of Cattell Rd and Coventry Rd.
index.php

pic only visible if logged in
A day of that description just might be 7th. January, 1934. That was the day that the Yardley route trolleybuses started. It might explain the number of 'inspectors' who seem to be at that junction. The bus, 35, was one of 50 which started the services and continued until abandonment. These buses were the last BCT buses to receive two letter registrations i.e. OC, Daimler engined buses for the city, also delivered in 1935, were registered AOB.

There is a more complete picture of this scene in Albert Street. The trolley bus, No. 67 was built in September 1937 and lasted until closure of the trolley system in 1951, has unloaded its passengers now moves to pick up passengers at the stand directly in front of the diesel bus. The full blind read Coventry Road (City Boundary) & Albert Street 94. These trolley buses and newer ones in the BCT fleet had traction batteries fitted which allowed movement when a bus was de-wired or within a depot. The diesel bus, HOV 829 (1929) is actually on route 53 to Stechford which replaced the 84 tram service in 1948.

Trolley bus 83 has an interesting history.
It was delivered in February 1940 and withdrawn from service 30/6/51. It, along with some others of the fleet, was towed on 1/7/51 to the scrapyard of Bird & Sons, Stratford upon Avon. (the final resting place of a great many of the cities buses and trams).
During 1951 it was acquired from Birds by a bus company called Silcox & Son of Pembroke Dock, West Wales. The body of the bus was mounted on a chassis of a Bristol type (not city) K6G (6 cylinder Gardner engine) maintaining its flush frontal appearance. The trolley bus chassis and electrical equipment were returned to Birds. The recipient bus was registered ODE 401 going into Silcox service in May 1952. In 1961 the body was removed and ODE 401 got another body fitted from an AEC Regent formerly of Trent Motor Traction Co.
Post 139 by LLoyd, in the following thread shows the bus with its new owners.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-buses.10742/page-7

This is a true story.
I knew a gentleman who was a representative for a Northern Ireland carpet manufacturer. His area was the south-west of England and part of his remit was calling on furnishers in Bournemouth, that city still having Sunbeam trolleybuses. Those folks old enough to remember trolleybuses - or have travelled on them abroad or at the Sandtoft Museum - will know how silently they run. Their soubriquet "silent servants" was quite justified.
The gentleman concerned was an avid golfer but he found some of his playing positions had become very painful. Crossing a road in Bournemouth he failed to hear or see a trolleybus coming in his direction, despite them being painted bright yellow. Consequently the bus knocked him down.
However it was found, after a hospital stay, that he was able to move far more easily and without any pain and was able to return to his favourite pastime of golf.
The hospital consultant told him that the accident had righted a joint, or something along those lines, which had been displaced; hence his new lease of life. It was pointed out that had he been hit by the bus on the opposite side of his body, to that which received the hit, he would probably spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

Back