• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Those lovely trees.

Pam Smith

master brummie
Can anyone tell me why they chopped down those beautiful blossom trees down Grestone Avenue. I have an abiding memory of walking down there during May and those trees would be full of pink flowers filling the air with a fragrant smell. My birthday is in May and a few years back i drove down the Avenue and was so upset that they had gone why? Still think H. Wood is magic. Pam.

The only thing I can think of Pam re the trees in Grestone Avenuei is the fact that they may have been in such bad condition that the City horticultural department had to cut them down. The trees rot from the inside out and become a danger. I may be barking up the wrong tree....pun intended ...on this one unless someone else knows about these trees.

Could well be jenny, as they replaced the paving slabs at the same time the roots could have been causing problems also. Still such a shame they were so pretty and reminded me of my years growing up along such a lovely Avenue.

Back