• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Lowell Ralph

Sheryl

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone,
I am looking for more info about my GG Grandfather Thomas Lowell Ralph who was born in Birmingham in 1825. He spent many years in Russia, establishing and afterwards managing the first metal-rolling mills in that country for the Russian Government. He returned to Birmingham where he died at 3 Vauxhall Grove, Aston in 1875. His father & one of his sons also had the same name so I'd be interested in any of them.
Thanks Sheryl

Thomas Lowell Ralph born 26th June 1825
Nicholas Ralph born 30th July 1827
William Ralph born 18th August 1829
all baptised 28th March 1831 Aston juxta birminham
parents Thomas and Elizabeth

Thomas Lowell Ralph married ElizabethMaria Powell
20th June 1849 Aston

1851 Bromsgrove Street.
William Powell age 44 widower b. london Wheelwright
Charles Powell age 16
William Powell age 14
Rachael Powell age 12
Elizabeth Ralph age 18,married,daughter
Thomas Ralph age 24 Metal roller

Hi Alberta & Di,
Thank you both very much for your time & effort. I have Thomas Ralph's death record but can anyone suggest where he might have been buried? He was christened & married at Aston Juxta. Is this the same as St Peter & St Paul church near Aston Hall? If so was the churchyard still being used for burials in 1875?
Thanks again,
Sheryl

Hi Sheryl, yes Aston Juxta is St Peter and Pauls Church, Aston. I am pretty sure they were still burying at the church when Thomas Ralph died. I do know however that some of the ground in the churchyard was taken for housing sometime in the last century. I think that the memorial inscriptions of the graves were listed and held in Birmingham Central Library, if you email them they will tell you what they have. They have a resident genealogist and if you are interested then they will tell you her charges for doing some research for you.

archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk

Thanks again Di,
I'll certainly follow up on that.
I notice you are researching Carters as well. My GG Grandfather was John Carter who was a city councilor for the Ladywood ward for 28 years. He also owned a canal boat building business. I don't suppose there is a connection to your Carters but I guess it can't hurt to ask.
Regards Sheryl

Hi Sheryl, sorry my gt gt grandfather John Carter was a Pearl Button manufacturer living in Highgate at the end of his life. It would be good if we had found a connection.:)

Back