• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thimble Mill Lane

yes jo long acre near thimblemill lane..yes i know margaret marr thomas in 1859 but didnt he die in 1875?

dont know why but when i copied that 1881 census it missed out some info so i am typing it...the only reason i thought it may have been your margaret walker on it was because she is the correct age and does not seem to have a husband here it is..

address 224 baltic st glasgow

head...andrew walker 36 occupation grocer
wife margaret walker 31
son thomas walker 12
daughter isabella walker 7
daughter margaret walker 7 months

margaret walker 43 servant born rutherglen
I haven't found her on any 1881 census before; never thought of looking in Scotland! I might buy a copy of that census to see if there is any more information available. Thanks for all the hints and help

hi jo it may not be her on that 1881 i found but i did wonder if margaret was maybe living with extended members of the walker family ..its a pity that we cant see if she is down as married..single or a widow and i dont even know if the scottish census give that information on their forms...if you can find that out and she is down as a widow it could be useful..i was wondering if the andrew walker on that 1881 could be a rellie of margarets deceased husband thomas walker..ie brother or cousin..its all guess work at the min but could be worth checking out

lyn

yes jo long acre near thimblemill lane..yes i know margaret marr thomas in 1859 but didnt he die in 1875?

dont know why but when i copied that 1881 census it missed out some info so i am typing it...the only reason i thought it may have been your margaret walker on it was because she is the correct age and does not seem to have a husband here it is..

address 224 baltic st glasgow

head...andrew walker 36 occupation grocer
wife margaret walker 31
son thomas walker 12
daughter isabella walker 7
daughter margaret walker 7 months

margaret walker 43 servant born rutherglen

On findmypast it lists marriage status and she is listed as unmarried.

hi jo it may not be her on that 1881 i found but i did wonder if margaret was maybe living with extended members of the walker family ..its a pity that we cant see if she is down as married..single or a widow and i dont even know if the scottish census give that information on their forms...if you can find that out and she is down as a widow it could be useful..i was wondering if the andrew walker on that 1881 could be a rellie of margarets deceased husband thomas walker..ie brother or cousin..its all guess work at the min but could be worth checking out

lyn
I checked his brothers but didn't think of cousins! Thanks for that Lyn, I'll look at other branches of family

Post 33 suggests that on the 1881 census Margaret is unmarried so less likely.
With at least 4 of her children in Birmingham I might have expected her to be there.

Post 33 suggests that on the 1881 census Margaret is unmarried so less likely.
With at least 4 of her children in Birmingham I might have expected her to be there.

i agree jan i dont think its our margaret on that 81 census i found...as you say with 4 of margarets children (all daughters eldest daughter margaret being head of house )living together in duddeston birmingham in 1881 i would have thought margaret would have been there as well but so far i cant find her..

lyn

Back