• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the bus parked on the wrong side of the road, in the first place?

Eddie
Looking at this forum pic of Five Ways shown below there was not much straight road to park a bus on the opposite side and the place where the bus is stopped in this pic does not look suitable if there was road works.

index.php

Last edited:
Am I reading it right Oldmohawk? If the bus in #1429 usually stopped at the stop in the latest photo #1441 (you can see people lighting or alighting) and it's route was blocked by roadworks, pulling over to the right was the only option to let people off the bus. Is that correct? Viv.

Am I reading it right Oldmohawk? If the bus in #1429 usually stopped at the stop in the latest photo #1441 (you can see people lighting or alighting) and it's route was blocked by roadworks, pulling over to the right was the only option to let people off the bus. Is that correct? Viv.
I think you could be right Viv. It does look as if the roadworks had put the normal bus stop out of use and buses could not go past the roadworks.

Wonder what they were talking about in the High Street Selly Oak all those years ago ?
(You need to be logged in to see the photo)
index.php

Last edited:
I think they are probably school girls. The building they are standing in front of looks like a public building, perhaps a school. Also there seems to be quite a few children around. It's a weekday as all the shops are open, so the children might have just left school for the day. If so the girls were bound to be discussing sweets (didn't we all head for the sweet shop after school?). Maybe the girls had a farthing between them and were discussing the maximum number of sweets they could get for a farthing from the shop in the parade further along. Viv.

Do you know I thought was "The Oak", and it was around then when I was a youngster, I remember drinking in it once and being told that the original "Oak Tree" of Selly Oak stood opposite, don't know if that was true though, thanks oldMohawk . Paul

Paul you are correct the old oak used to be facing and it was an Irish kept pub and surported the old IRA
And it was raided and a lot of weaonary of guns was found a big stache and they closed it down and never open end again
Then area years later the ring road and rebuilt moderen and bigger better reclaimed it punters occasionally shoppers short lived it
Before safe ways taken over the land. Alan,,, Astonian,,,''

Are they pushing a baby in that pram? !

I'm amazed to discover that the Public Baths building on the right is still there, complete with those unusual towers. As is the pub across the road. Incredible as so much along Nechells Park Road seems to have been re-built. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427745284.846484.jpg

I did not realise the building was a Public Baths, the towers I assume are just decorative. The building is apparently Grade II listed which gives it some protection. I notice in the old photo the trams must run on a single track which seems unusual.

I did not realise the building was a Public Baths, the towers I assume are just decorative. The building is apparently Grade II listed which gives it some protection. I notice in the old photo the trams must run on a single track which seems unusual.

I don't have my tramway map to hand but what is most likely is that trams ran only one way along this road returning along another road.

Are they pushing a baby in that pram? !

I'm amazed to discover that the Public Baths building on the right is still there, complete with those unusual towers. As is the pub across the road. Incredible as so much along Nechells Park Road seems to have been re-built. Viv.

View attachment 97243

i was given a tour of the old swimming baths before the forum was hacked and allowed to take photos...think ive still got them so i will try and repost them under the appropriate thread..the pub on the other corner is the villa tavern although not the original one..

lyn

Is this an old style school-run in Warren Road Washwood Heath ?
Girls one side of the road, boys on the other as it probably was in those days. I notice on today's view there is a school in that road and I bet the school-run looks somewhat different these days - probably not much running.
warren_road_washwood_heath.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the school was just behind the photographer to the left. The school is still there. The houses further along must have been demolished and replaced by 1930s housing. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427812629.194892.jpg

This is the school today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427812768.909251.jpg. An unusual design.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427812651.528591.jpg

The school opened in 1909 and was named Leigh Road Council School, accommodating 1,000 pupils. That's quite substantial. Viv.

Dos any one know the name of the pub opposite I am sure it was there in the late 50's early sixty's. Paul

Paul, it was "The Oak" pub, had many a drink in there. Sainsburys store now stands on the site and if you are approaching the City from Northfield you can see the shape of an Oak Tree on the side of the building made out of different coloured brick. Opposite the pub was the Police Station and the Probation Service Office.

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about the "Oak Pub", I too enjoyed many a pint in there, I would think the unhappy cyclists were contemplating the long trip home. Paul

Grandad with bike club 001.jpgMy Grand father, far right, with cap and bicycle, out for the day with Kings Heath Cycling Club.

When I was around ten years old, early forties, he gave me one of his old 'sit up and beg' bikes. War on, no other bike, so I was quite proud of it. It had a braking system that worked when peddled backwards. I cannot remember the name of the system. No doubt soe one can.

Eddie

#1469, in the days we are looking at this would never have been conceived or considered, the only driving force of those far off days was, making work for the workers and profit for the boss's, the Victorians especially never let their world be coloured by any such theoretically based assumptions, of "Political correctness, or Health and Safety". So schools, hospitals, social housing, would all have been placed round industry, weather chemical, or explosives. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back