• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the man behind the one with the cane is a clippy and he has the machine just over his shoulder great pic lots to spot.......

Certainly a mixture of theories about this pic, maybe a tram expert will appear to enlighten us !
I think it is an 'end of route' event otherwise they would not allow all those people on the platforms. The official standing by the left hand tram looks slightly higher rank than a mere clippy, he looks slightly annoyed by the situation. I like the man on the bike, he might have followed the tram all the way from Steelhouse Lane.

1905 Gravelly Hill and they were hard at work laying tram tracks and a little girl in the hat looks on - she will probably enjoy a ride on the new electric trams when they start running .... now 108 years later tram tracks are again being laid in central Birmingham ...
1905cTramwayBuilt-GravellyHill.jpg

What a interesting link.Ladies in the nude showing their natural beauty
to lighten up a dark dank day
JH

1905 Gravelly Hill and they were hard at work laying tram tracks and a little girl in the hat looks on - she will probably enjoy a ride on the new electric trams when they start running .... now 108 years later tram tracks are again being laid in central Birmingham ...
1905cTramwayBuilt-GravellyHill.jpg
In 18 hundred and fity one, my corderoy breeches i put on, my corderoy breeche I put pm to work upon the railway, the railway, working on the rail ay hail way, yes Paddy works on the Railway.. I wonder if Big G knows that one?

I would say that the two trams were on a tour, possibly towards the last day. They arrived at the treminus and the first tram ran over the crossover with the passengers on board as they were not intended to alight at this terminus.

On the trams - I havent spotted running man yet Mo or a Leaner :)

gr8 pic again - the tracks were laid below the level of the road then.

Makes you realise what a job it would have been to take the tracks up in later years. Or did they leave all those 'sleepers' underneath and just remove the rails? Viv.

I was having a look through the Birmingham Trams thread (some nice pics there) and saw this pic which is the same place as in the second pic see #214 in this thread, it could be the same policeman !
Click on the pics to link to original posts.
Tram 647  Gravelly Hill, Erdington Arms (Medium).jpg
img698.jpg

Last edited:
On the trams - I havent spotted running man yet
He's run off because we have not been able to say why he was there ! I've looked at the photo again and am still puzzled why no one else in the photo is looking at him ... click on him for another quick look ...

Last edited:
Good old running man hes got my vote as the BHF Man of 2013. That guy to the right (the Vince Cable lookalike) might have his eye on him.

Hi Nick - That's an interesting photo in your link showing the tram probably on it's last appearance on the streets. It now raises the question of what was really going on at Holly Lane in the #706 pic. I notice the advert on the side of the tram is different.
Looking at the nice forum photo below (click on it to see where it is) the 'end of trams' events certainly attracted the enthusiasts.
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Regarding the adverts on the sides of the trams, I've just realised that there was no front or back to a tram, they could and were driven from both ends and the adverts could be different on each side of the tram. Looking at the leading tram in #737 the number although hard to make out looks like 623.

He's climbed the lampost just for fun by the corner of Bridge St/Guest St Newtown then someone took a photo.
I can remember climbing lamposts - don't think it can be done on today's lamposts !
Bridge2520Street2520-2520Guest2520Street2520Newtown252029-7-1964~0.jpg

He looks like a jockey. "Where's me 'orse gone?"
He probably got his mates (in doorway) to give him a leg up there - or he was trying to escape from them in case they thumped him for having a clean shirt!
Where was this taken? I can make out "West" on the road sign but not the rest.

He has probably climbed up there to get a light for his fag.

lol i could ask him...its my next door neighbour who lived in farm st (well hes pretty sure its him)...we both went to farm st school together..great photo that i posted years back..nice to see it back...

lyn

stephen its one of my favourite pics...so typical of the era...

lyn

Last edited:
The photo is one that was posted before being lost in the 'hack' attack. The file name says 'Bridge St / Guest St Newtown. The road sign seems to be 'Bridge St West'. The building behind them looks ready to fall down !

These days we don't see many young lads walking along a street arm-in-arm with their mums, but this young Hockley lad did back in the early 1960s
Hockley_Icknield_St.jpg

These days we don't see many young lads walking along a street arm-in-arm with their mums, but this young Hockley lad did back in the early 1960s
Hockley_Icknield_St.jpg

And there'd always be two boys on the front seats on top deck. They were probably friends but chose to take a seat each. Doubtless in their minds they were the driver. Viv.

And there'd always be two boys on the front seats on top deck. They were probably friends but chose to take a seat each. Doubtless in their minds they were the driver. Viv.
Hi Viv - I liked sitting on those front seats and with my sister and a cousin, went round the Outer Circle a few times when my mum and aunt wanted to get rid of us for the afternoon. I only used the Inner Circle bus to travel from Aston Park Lane to Springhill, but several times each week.
Phil

Hi Phil. My favourite was the lower deck seat next to the driver. Loved to see the orange indicators flick out. And I remember being fascinated by the leather concertina blind in the driver's cab, don't know why. Sometimes it was up, sometimes down or even halfway. But the best thing was the view from that front seat. You seemed to be in the know before all the other passengers on the bus. viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back