• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Here we have Canon Hill Park Lido that stood from 1873 to 1932 when it was closed by new regulations laid down by The Department of Health, a forerunner of Health & Safety I suppose. The pools was used for boating for a short while until it was replaced by the Midlands Arts Centre in the 1960's (MAC).

Cannon Hill Park Lido.jpg

A military parade marches past the Council House in 1935 and some council employees climb out on to ledges for a better view.
View attachment 138052

These days the Council House is probably air conditioned with double glazed fixed windows ... so no ledge climbing !
View attachment 138053
Ah what a picture that typifies the current era. Walking along looking at his phone. Luckily no longer a number 3,4,6,7,9 or 10 bus to come behind him, ah I forgot 2019, probably does not know what a bus is. As a matter of interest is this an area that is pedestrianised?
Bob

It appeared the baths closed in 1939 due to financial considerations...

View attachment 138090
In 1939, as with all things political, it seems there were knee jerk decisions about areas of water that might be used by hostile forces aircrew in locating targets. One such was the destruction of what was a beautiful lido in, Shirley. I suspect this could have been the real reason about closure. Hindsight says it was a false assumption, as the River Cole and Stratford Canal were quite close by. Besides other watercourses, reservoirs and canals -not to mention railway lines, were a far more reliable clue regarding locations.
I did once see, many years ago, a photo of myself, as a baby, with family at the lido - sadly long since gone.

The open air baths at Victoria Park were also closed at the same time. It was said that it would cost £11,00 to bring them to standard, and into line with, those privately-owned affairs available to many swimmers on the outskirts of the city.

One of those at the "outskirts" would have been Cadbury’s Rowheath which looks to have been open during the summers of 1942 and 3.

The Times Furnishing building on the left at the top of the old Bull Ring looks on to changes taking place.
View attachment 138123

The building endures (now a bookshop) while everything around it has changed.
View attachment 138124
[/QUOTE
Neither of the passers by are worried by those Daleks wearing disguises. Seriously though was that it just three for Birmingham in Bloom?
Bob

I do not know what happened there, no reply appeared, what should have read was
Interesting that the two passers by are taking no notice of the heavily disguised Daleks. Seriously though were those three planters the best the City could offer or were there more?
Bob

Hi Bob, It's an easy mistake to make, I've done myself many times but I've usually sneaked back and edited them ... :rolleyes:
Regarding the Commodore etc, for my pics and comments see ...

Edit added ... I've just read through the old thread (2009 !) and notice we were a bit frivolous back then .

Last edited:
Hurlingham Road was lined with poplar trees and the front gardens fenced with blue creosoted boards and privet hedges when 'I were a lad' many of the gardens including my old home now contain a parked car or two.
They didn't of course have any off road parking when built in the late twenties and the on road parking became a real traffic hazard so I suppose it was inevitable.

I do not know what happened there, no reply appeared, what should have read was
Interesting that the two passers by are taking no notice of the heavily disguised Daleks. Seriously though were those three planters the best the City could offer or were there more?
Bob

They had this back in May 2019 for the last Great Birmingham 10K at Rotunda Square. Between High Street and New Street.

I'm not expecting anything like this now for tomorrows Great Birmingham Run. Also the run starts on New Street.

Those flower towers were removed in late September I think.

Back