• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then and Now - please participate

Hall Green, Stratford Road 1954 -2012
Until now I had not realised that 'Priory Cycles' had a shop in this location. They closed their Priory Road shop when they opened one by the old 37 Terminus. I now assume that this replaced both the Priory Road shop and the one shown above?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Until now I had not realised that 'Priory Cycles' had a shop in this location. They closed their Priory Road shop when they opened one by the old 37 Terminus. I now assume that this replaced both the Priory Road shop and the one shown above?"

Brought back a few memories .............. I used them once or twice up at the Boundary and then had to transfer to Scotts Cycles further down the Stratford Road when the younger children had their bikes - must have been in the late eighties (although Scotts have been open for many years - now run by the son)

Yes and still the same paint job on the shop. Priory Cycles - I think - moved out to Bidford on Avon.

Those shop signs are much too big these days. In days gone by (ref: top pic Bernie above) they were much smaller and looked so much the better. Visited Falmouth a few years back and all the shop signs down there seemed to be in fitting with each other. Just saying.

Dennis what a lovely comparison and so nice the houses are still there.

Cheers Wendy. I could spend all day popping stuff on here....here's another a few hundred yards from my house....Church Terrace, Yardley Village....hardly changed again..

Yardley Old Village.jpg Village .jpg Yardley Church Terrace 2010.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, Thanks for posting those photos..I have seen the Yardley Old Village photo quite a few times and often wondered where about it was. I was curious to know what the first building looked like so I had a look on googlemaps from the opposite end to that view...as you said,it has hardly changed.
These before and after photos make great 'Spot The Difference' puzzles :)
I noticed that one of the windows has disappeared from the roof of the house by the post box and also the plant life has been cleared from the front of the white cottages. Also missing are the two grave memorials from the churchyard as seen in the original photo...the one with the railings around it and an upright grave stone just before the tree...I wonder if the stones were kept ? The rounded coping stones (is that the right term ??) are missing off the churchyard wall too.
I have lived not far from there for quite a while now but never actually walked around that area...it's on the 'to do list' !!

opposite view of Yardley Old Village photo.jpg

A few more scattered around Birmingham

We have the Chamberlain Memorial Clock at the junction of Vyse St - Warstone Lane in the Jewellry Quarter.

Then we have the old Hansworth Council House on Soho Rd Handsworth

Next is the Section of Ladypool Rd Balsall Heath or is it Sparkbrook I still don't know and I lived there for years, but its the section between Highgate Rd & Studley St.

Last of these few is a section of Monument Road, that is much changed today. It's the section that is now with a blocked off end just off Ladywood Middleway.

Phil

396b0005.jpg
4739de0e.jpg

048c9b8a.jpg
d4f0fba1.jpg
A few more scattered around Birmingham

We have the Chamberlain Memorial Clock at the junction of Vyse St - Warstone Lane in the Jewellry Quarter.

Then we have the old Hansworth Council House on Soho Rd Handsworth

Next is the Section of Ladypool Rd Balsall Heath or is it Sparkbrook I still don't know and I lived there for years, but its the section between Highgate Rd & Studley St.

Last of these few is a section of Monument Road, that is much changed today. It's the section that is now with a blocked off end just off Ladywood Middleway.

Phil

396b0005.jpg
4739de0e.jpg

048c9b8a.jpg
d4f0fba1.jpg

While playing around with Photoshop last year, I got four different photos from four different periods and stitched them together. A few perspective problems but, it's a view many people will recognise. The other one is how it was in 2016.Barton arms - then & now copy.jpg

Back