• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Wetty,Birmingham

Hello Polly,
Yes, I do believe that the two deaths posted by Colin are the grandfather and the father so that would leave the Benjamin that Bob believes was killed in the war to be the grandson who was living at Chadwick Lane, Bromsgrove on the 1911 census. I have been trying to send you the photo's but can't seem to manage it, they are in a PDF file in my Adobe reader. Can I e-mail to this site because if I can then I could send them that way.
Thanks
Irene

delfryn, I have sent you an instant message - you can find it by clicking on Notifications - at the very top of the page on the blue banner
Polly

Thank you. I have sent the pictures, hope someone can identify the regiment etc.
Irene

Re: The Whetty, Birmingham

Thanks for your interest. I do not think that this is the right regiment. I have had the magnifying glass on the photo and they do not look the same, the badge on the photo seems to have something underneath it. The info you sent says active 1959-2007, do you think this means it did not exist in the first WW? I would have thought that living in Bromsgrove the man would have signed up in a Worcester regiment but then I know nothing at all about the military.

I have had a look round the web and I think that the cap badge may be the South Staffordshire regiment - this has a crown on the top and looks very much like the one in the photo.
Irene

Hello there, Irene,
Saw your post twenty minutes ago; I'm sorry.
This is what I've found :

br2_.PNG

Cap_badge.JPG

South_Staffordshire_Regiment.JPG
North_Staffordshire_cap_badge.JPG
Copy_of_The_Staff__Reg__Cap_Badge.JPG

View attachment 52208View attachment 52209View attachment 52206View attachment 52207

The North Staffs and South Staffs were amalgamated in 1959 and became the Staffordshire Regiment.
Before that year their cap badges were rather similar: both bore an overhand knot (sometimes called a Stafford knot and, at times - but incorrectly - a Staffordshire knot). Above the North Staffs' knot was the Prince of Wales's feathers whilst above the South Staffs' knot was a crown.
I think Mr Robert's cap badge has a crown above the knot; it seems too square to be a plume of feathers. Unfortunately, the third photograph is cropped but it's clearly the crown which represents the South Staffs. It's the best photo I can find .... it's past 3 o'clock in the morning here ....... I'm off to bed now.
Best wishes, D.

Last edited:

Good morning, Irene,
What do you think?

View attachment 52210View attachment 52211
World_War_I_cap_badges.JPG

Look at the ribbon below the overhand knot. On the South Staffs' emblem, the extremities of the ribbon are clearly above the horizontal central part; on the badge of the North Staffs however, the ends of the ribbon are noticeably below its middle part. Based on this evidence, I am now convinced Mr Roberts belonged to the South Staffordshire regiment.

Enjoy your day, D.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for your help. I too am convinced that it is the South Staffordshire Regiment. I am not so sure about the other photo though, I wonder is it from WW2? i need someone with an interest in guns I suppose and big ones at that!!
Again, thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Irene

Last weekend The Lickey Hills Local History society had an open day at the Visitor Centre to commemorate WW1. The society has been researching all the soldiers on the local war memorials.
I noticed there are 4 soldiers on the memorial at St Chads Church, Rubery (picture on #12) they have been unable to trace as there is not enough information for them to go on. I thought I would put the names on here in the hope that relatives researching their ancestors may find this thread and be able to provide some information on them. I know the chance is small but I thought it worth a try.
F Hodgetts
G Steel
B Turner
J Wilkes

Back