• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Waterloo, Smethwick

Fabian

knowlegable brummie
I remember going to this pub for food. The basement grill bar was an absolute gem and anyone who never knew it will not be able to appreciate that statement. The tiling was from wall to ceiling, and the grill was coke fired with the steaks on display, raw, in a chiller cabinet, for the customer to choose. The exterior is all red brick and terracotta. It was the brewery tap for M.&B. Although in Cape Hill, Smethwick, not exactly Edgebaston, it was the lunchtime favourite for many a Birmingham and Black Country company for business lunches. It is still on the Victorian Society's top ten endangered list. I understand that it is now going to auction. If this place is not preserved and opened again as a pub and restaurant it will be a travesty. There should be a pride in our heritage. I have an idea that if this were in Manchester or Leeds, it would be up and running and not have buddleia growing out of the gutters.

Absolutely Fabian! I saw the report on it going to auction, so sad that it's been allowed to detoriate this badly (although I believe the interior to be intact).
I remember the steaks being thrown onto this huge grill to be cooked, and the tiling was spectacular. Really hope this can be preserved.

I'm afraid I don't know this pub but there's a firm called Brunning & Price who take over old pubs with character and revitalise them
They work mostly in the North West and the South East at present but I notice one of their properties is in Telford.
There are a number of pubs in this area that have been completely transformed, perhaps they'd be interested in The Waterloo, you never know.

I was taken to lunch at The Waterloo, must have been 35 years ago. I'd never heard of the place, but it was stunning. The food was good, too (it always is when someone else is paying!). I went again about 2 years later, and it was just as good. I don't think I've been in Smethwick since. If it's auctioned, then I hope it ends up in the hands of a company that wishes to preserve it.

G

Our local free paper said that it had been vandalised inside. It looks very sad from the outside. There is a building work going on next-door to it which seems to have been abandoned. The Lloyd's Bank building on the other side of the road was made into a pub, then it was empty for a while, I think it might have re-opened now.
Many years ago when my son was a baby we were going past and he said "ship!" I thought he wanted chips from the nearby chip-shop, but he was loking at the weather-vane which is a galleon. In all the times I had been past, I had never noticed.
rosie.

Just found these 2 pics of The Waterloo and Titus Mason's off licence which is where the Waterloo now stands.

Attachments

• Waterloo Pub Smethwick.jpg
    Waterloo Pub Smethwick.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Titus Masons Off Licence Now Site of Waterloo Pub Smethwick.jpg
    Titus Masons Off Licence Now Site of Waterloo Pub Smethwick.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 41
It seems that a property developer has bought it.
Whats the betting that a mystery fire occurs, or am I just over reacting.:untroubled:

2 smashing pics david...thanks for posting them...

and jim you are not over reacting as we have seen it happen many times before..

lyn

I remember the late Bob Field, when he was the Licensee in the 1980's. Bob was a Volunteer with me at Radio Lollipop at Birmingham Children's Hospital, at the time, He presented a show on wednesday evenings and I presented a show on a Tuesday Evening. I think that at some stage Bob acted as Chairman for Radio Lollipop, Birmingham. I was with Radio Lollipop from 1983 to 1986.

Hopefully with the new planning guidelines they will have difficulty getting a change of use for the building. Time to start lobbying the local Council.

The new owners (Five Rivers Investments Ltd.) have vowed to return the Waterloo to it's former glory. It will be a restaurant with wine bar, and apartments on the upper floors. Work is intended to commence within 28 days. It sold for £150.000
This is taken from Sandwell Chronicle, a free newspaper. Let's hope it comes true!!!!!!!
rosie.

( Please delete the name if I'm not allowed to post it.)

No, Fabian, it's still all boarded up and getting worse! There was some patching up done on the roof but nothing visible otherwise.
rosie.

I remeber this pub very well, my grandad and dad used to drink there during the 60s and early 70s. I always heard that the food was really good.

HI POSTIE ;
What is the odds you are offering on the pub ?.
I kow the pub very well indeed and i have got stoned there many times plus me and my drinking partners used it every friday and saturday nights
when we done our pub crawls from the king edwards at the parade and at the free house and the summer hill taveren and the turf at spring hill
and the gate at ickneild street and the mint opersite the mint works on the corner of hingestion street cross over to camden street the grotto
then into george street west along to springhill the queens and the coach and horse the inglby arms in ingleby street
up to the colledge arms then up to the BA outside barker and allens then the old duke of wellinton then the old wind mill opersite dudley rd hospital
then into the lee bridge taven ; down heath street to the shakespear back on dudley rd the yorkshire grey then the engine there is one before that one i cannot think off just before the old woolies and up the cape of good hope and then to the waterloo and down and finish at the old london arms
but geting back about the pub its was a brillient pub for food as well always busy ; but sadly it started its decline and very few people used it then and it got ran dwn but allso saying that so did the area fall down very rapid and to put a wine bar there it aint gonna happen ;the red cow is just up the min road they always done well there bye the way but yes you can expect some think to happen to it for certain;does anybody know of this river company ;
whom alledg to bought it as i know of a company whom buys up the old pubs and does torch them to delay tactics and gain finances there projects
that i can tell you the company i have in mind is a synidcate and they changed there names over the years still we may be wrong i wil not say nomore on it
hope all goes well ; Astonian;;

Hi Astonian,
I hope you are feeling much better now. I think the pub on the corner of Windmill Lane was Seven Stars? They tried to re-name it the Goose on Cape Hill or something similar.
I went past the Waterloo yesterday but it still looks the same. My son used to like the weather-vane in the shape of a galleon.
rosie.

hi roseie
the seven stars i beleive was at the very top of the cape at the traffic lights and the pub correct if i have got it wrong
was on the right hand befor you turn into windmill lane there by the market hall
but if you turn left at the light s which is the opersite side to the windmill lane within afew yards thats where the waterloo was it not
right on the very corner of the first rd on your left after turning at the traffic lights at the top of the hill of the cape
and there was another pub before you got to the red cow on the one way system as i recall but cannot recall then name of that pub
if i was wrong rosie please put me out of misery by telling the name of the pub i have just spoken about
Rosie ; have yourself a merry christmas and a happy and prosperous and of course a healthy new year for 2014
best wishes Alan ; Astonan;;;;;;;

Hi Astonian,
Yes that's the one, it's still open too! We can't think of any more at present though.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, and all the Forum too of course.
rosie.

Hi again Astonian,
Late last night my husband remembered "Cape of Good Hope"! It was at the bottom of Grove Lane (where Mom was born) at the junction with Dudley Rd, on the Birmingham / Smethwick border. I think that's the one you wanted.
rosie.

hi roseie
the seven stars i beleive was at the very top of the cape at the traffic lights and the pub correct if i have got it wrong
was on the right hand befor you turn into windmill lane there by the market hall
but if you turn left at the light s which is the opersite side to the windmill lane within afew yards thats where the waterloo was it not
right on the very corner of the first rd on your left after turning at the traffic lights at the top of the hill of the cape
and there was another pub before you got to the red cow on the one way system as i recall but cannot recall then name of that pub
if i was wrong rosie please put me out of misery by telling the name of the pub i have just spoken about
Rosie ; have yourself a merry christmas and a happy and prosperous and of course a healthy new year for 2014
best wishes Alan ; Astonan;;;;;;;

Hello, it was the Park Tavern :)

Hi Carole and Astonian,
I've just re-read Astonian's post (as highlighted ) and he already mentioned Cape of Good Hope, I'm sorry if I've caused confusion!!
rosie.

Back